Questionable traditions in educational theatre.

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
I saw this article yesterday about a high school drama teacher who was suspended by her district for ten days after she allowed an established student led tradition proceed. It was the sort of tradition that some would view as fraternal and playful, and others would view as straight up hazing.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/commu...-suspension-over-theater-tradition/868747001/

It would seem to me that many educational theatre groups, both high school and collegiate, have traditions that could and have faced increasing scrutiny. For those that work in the educational sector, how have you handles these traditions? Where do you draw the line in the sand between traditions and hazing, and what do you do when you have to be the bad guy and put and end to something that might have been perfectly fine in the 1980s but is no longer allowable in 2017?

As a high school teacher of 25 years, but coming from a professional theatre background, I luckily never had to eliminate a tradition like that. The educational sector always has to keep an eye on the optics of what we do, and I'm not sure the "ass platter" would pass any public opinion litmus test. When I first came to my present school 23 years ago, my test for any practice in the space was "is this the way it is done professionally?" If not, let's talk about why it isn't. When I came here, there was a semi "tradition" about closing night pranks that I had to eliminate. But when the students started to work and practice as professionals, the quality of the work went up, as did their pride in what they did. Would the "ass platter" survive around here? Nope, nope, nope.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”

Being from the area, I have definitely heard that name. I'm pretty sure a friend of mine student taught with her actually.

That being said, yeah that tradition has to go.

When my co-worker and I took over this schools theater organization, our first year we did our best to accommodate student traditions. Some were harmless like "the old theater's ghost was named norm so I'm sure he just moved down to this theater" and some left us open to putting our jobs at risk, like the 'lock-in' where the theater kids would all spend the night in the school. Our school isn't very easy to segment off, so if a couple of kids really wanted to sneak off, it would be almost impossible to have enough supervision to prevent it. We supervised the lock in our first year, but the next year we introduced a 'retreat weekend' where we pull the kids from class on a Friday a couple weeks before tech and go to a near-by retreat center for an overnight-trip and two full days of rehearsal. Did we get some push-back from some seniors when they didn't get to do the lock in? YEP! The next year though, no push back whatsoever, and now the kids don't even know that it used to be a thing.

Additionally, cast parties used to be followed by a lot of rumors and whispering during the following weeks. We talked to the parents and now they organize and have plenty of other parents present for the cast parties to chaperone and make sure the kids aren't breaking any laws or athletic code rules.

So our strategy has always been to replace the poor practice with an alternative. Deal with the kick back, and then move on.

Last edited:
Ahhh, Lock-ins. I'm from a 750~ person high-school, which is a lot smaller than other mega-schools I hear are rather common. They have a yearly lock-in for charity, and simply unlock / allow access to areas based on how much supervision is available in a given year.

The only annoyance for us was last year, when there was insufficient supervision to cover the same area as previous years. This lead to the arguably poor decision of locking the auditorium instead of another room, seeing as it always acted as the main gathering place during a lock-in, as well as the only place properly equipped to have that year's NGO make their presentation.

To be fair, we the high-school technicians will not deny a good show, so we carted what we un-ironically and admittedly somewhat immaturely dubbed the "Hype Train."
The hype train was comprised of a main cart equipped with a chair, desk, comically overkill mixer and an EPQ-1200 stereo amplifier.

The second and third "cars" where wheeled Yorkville Elite Maxim 1000 cabinets. They are why we decided to name this audio caravan the "Hype Train" as the wheels made a thunderous noise rolling down the hallways.

Immature? Likely.
Fun? Most certainly.
Fuelled by sleep deprivation? Well, this was the week before show week. So yes, yes it was.

It's basically the one event where we don't have any actual expectations or tasks, and are just free to have fun.

Last edited:
When I first came to my present school 23 years ago, my test for any practice in the space was "is this the way it is done professionally?" If not, let's talk about why it isn't.

I'm not sure, the "ass platter" seems tame compared to some of the stuff I've seen in professional theater. In one, production I worked the cast and design team all had a party after the first rehearsal. A kind of "get to know everyone" event. By the end of the night there were people almost competitively "baby birding" each other. (chewing up some food and spitting it into each other's mouths). Sooooooo, maybe the litmus test for what "professionals" do isn't the best metric by which we judge high schooler's activities. Not to mention, getting high after a show is a very common bonding event among "professionals"...

Here is something to think about: Is the "tradition" the problem, or has there been a societal shift in mentality?

That kinda goes for everything in this thread. I mean, there really shouldn't be any harm in an event like a school sponsored "lock-in." It should be a good way to build community and school spirit. However society today tries to find all the faults and flaws. Sure, a lack of supervision is an issue, but over all, society seems to be growing more and more afraid of such activities. It seems to me that we are growing over-protective, offering less freedom, and relying too much on tech and screens to entertain kids these days.

Here is something to think about: Is the "tradition" the problem, or has there been a societal shift in mentality?

That kinda goes for everything in this thread. I mean, there really shouldn't be any harm in an event like a school sponsored "lock-in." It should be a good way to build community and school spirit. However society today tries to find all the faults and flaws. Sure, a lack of supervision is an issue, but over all, society seems to be growing more and more afraid of such activities. It seems to me that we are growing over-protective, offering less freedom, and relying too much on tech and screens to entertain kids these days.
@icewolf08 It galls me to see two, three, or four young uns standing in a circle "speaking" to each other by thumb typing on their phones. Whatever happened to actually speaking, looking at and listening to each other, you know, like actually talking? You lads actually still talk to each other while you're having nerf wars or whatever they're called at Tait, right?
EDIT: Misspelled they're as their. Oops! Bad Ron! Bad!! [It's NEVER too late to correct a post]
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
@icewolf08You lads actually still talk to each other while you're having nerf wars or whatever their called at Tait, right?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
While the carpet-walkers have their nerf fights, the rest of us a busy trying to put out the fires they started... We don’t have time to not talk to each Other!

I mean, there really shouldn't be any harm in an event like a school sponsored "lock-in." It should be a good way to build community and school spirit. However society today tries to find all the faults and flaws. Sure, a lack of supervision is an issue, but over all, society seems to be growing more and more afraid of such activities. It seems to me that we are growing over-protective, offering less freedom, and relying too much on tech and screens to entertain kids these days.

The biggest problem we have is liability. I know the majority of my kids are trustworthy, but if little Debbie and Johnnie sneak off, do the deed, and get pregnant. Now the school could get sued and I know who is the most expendable person that can be sacrificially fired to calm the masses. Not worth the risk for me.

One nice thing that has happened recently is that the school has banned cell phones during instructional time. All phones must be placed in a caddy at the front of the room. Any student caught with a phone out of the caddy loses said device for the day on the first warning, and the week on the second. No phone in the caddy, then no bathroom break for you (obviously there are exceptions).

We coddle too much. Put some responsibility on the kids now or they won't learn it later. If Debbie and Johnnie sneak off and get pregnant, that's Debbie and Johnnies fault. If Joe punches Tim, that's Joe's fault. Unless Tim was asking for it. This whole idea of "kids can't be responsible for themselves" and the adults are liable is incredibly stupid. Adults should be expected to provide reasonable supervision, not restrict all opportunities for fear of repercussions for someone else's actions. Kids should man up and own their actions, adults too. /rant

We coddle too much. Put some responsibility on the kids now or they won't learn it later. If Debbie and Johnnie sneak off and get pregnant, that's Debbie and Johnnies fault. If Joe punches Tim, that's Joe's fault. Unless Tim was asking for it. This whole idea of "kids can't be responsible for themselves" and the adults are liable is incredibly stupid. Adults should be expected to provide reasonable supervision, not restrict all opportunities for fear of repercussions for someone else's actions. Kids should man up and own their actions, adults too. /rant
@bobgaggle Please feel free to turn the rant back on and provide condoms in conveniently located dispensers at affordable prices. Feel free to charge extra for flavored, novelties and extra large sizes. Profit's not a bad word. If you were in Canada, you'd want to consider stocking winter-weight condoms as well. We have a saying up here I've always loved: "Hurrah, hurrah, the first of May; Outdoor phuquing starts today!"
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Put some responsibility on the kids now or they won't learn it later

Fully agree with you there. And as soon as the school and I are granted immunity from these kind of lawsuits, I'm all for bringing back the sleep overs.

The hardest part about teaching isn't the students, it's the parents (sometimes it's both).

The biggest problem we have is liability. I know the majority of my kids are trustworthy, but if little Debbie and Johnnie sneak off, do the deed, and get pregnant. Now the school could get sued and I know who is the most expendable person that can be sacrificially fired to calm the masses. Not worth the risk for me.

One nice thing that has happened recently is that the school has banned cell phones during instructional time. All phones must be placed in a caddy at the front of the room. Any student caught with a phone out of the caddy loses said device for the day on the first warning, and the week on the second. No phone in the caddy, then no bathroom break for you (obviously there are exceptions).

I like the banning phones and devices. Kids spend way too much time in front of screens (I probably do too, but that is another story). I used to work at a summer camp that banned screens for the entire summer. Makes a huge impact on kids lives and interpersonal skills.

Your first point illustrates the problem with our society. You just can't hold the school or the chaperones responsible for every little thing. If Debbie and Johnnie want to get it on, it wouldn't matter if there was a chaperone for every kid, they would manage to find a dark corner to do it. That is just life. The problem is that no one want to take responsibility for themself or their kids, especially if there are other easy targets. It is ridiculous.

I totally agree with this too. I want my kids to learn responsibility as they grow up, and you can't do that if all opportunities are just removed. Kids have to be able to fail. They have to be able to run around in the street playing hockey or basketball and be allowed to get dirty and skin their knees. Unless you need stitches, rub some dirt in it and get up and keep playing! Society today is too content with pacifying children with screens, it is terrible.

I like the banning phones and devices. Kids spend way too much time in front of screens (I probably do too, but that is another story). I used to work at a summer camp that banned screens for the entire summer. Makes a huge impact on kids lives and interpersonal skills.

Your first point illustrates the problem with our society. You just can't hold the school or the chaperones responsible for every little thing. If Debbie and Johnnie want to get it on, it wouldn't matter if there was a chaperone for every kid, they would manage to find a dark corner to do it. That is just life. The problem is that no one want to take responsibility for themself or their kids, especially if there are other easy targets. It is ridiculous.

I totally agree with this too. I want my kids to learn responsibility as they grow up, and you can't do that if all opportunities are just removed. Kids have to be able to fail. They have to be able to run around in the street playing hockey or basketball and be allowed to get dirty and skin their knees. Unless you need stitches, rub some dirt in it and get up and keep playing! Society today is too content with pacifying children with screens, it is terrible.
@icewolf08 Isn't Tait in the business of pacifying artistes and spectators for a price?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
Edit: I misspelled my own surname by omitting the 'd' from the end. I spotted it in a quoted post.

Last edited:
@icewolf08 Isn't Tait in the business of pacifying artistes and spectators for a price?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbar.

Indeed they are, with some of the most over-the-top gags/automation. Whether Tait is pacifying performers (how many are not "artists"?) or the insufferable prick "designers" or the ego-driven management is a matter for a different topic, probably.

<sigh>

It's getting more difficult to impress concert audiences as they can see lots of spectacle on TV or their portable devices (amazes me how we spend so much time making stuff "really BIG" only to find it viewed on a 5" screen) and it takes spectacle to put butts in seats these days. Did Carrie Underwood's flying pickup truck do anything to add to, or aid in the telling of the song's story? Nope, not a damn bit... but it impressed the phuque out of the audience; ditto for Bon Jovi's video robots (same overhead track system, BTW). Lots of multi-million dollar gags that last 45 seconds or so (the attention span of a 10 week old puppy) and you need more than 1 of them per show. Heck, look at Trans Siberian Orchestra - an entire concert that *requires* lasers, the newest moving lights, physical stage automation, pyro and oh, BTW, there's some music going on, too, so we'd better have a PA system. Don't get me wrong, I admire what TSO has done - get an audience to sit thru a musical performance most don't really connect to - and they've done it very, very well. It will be interesting to see what their show looks like this year after the passing of Paul O'Neill.

FWIW: it is not my experience that "most people don't really connect to" TSO music. The originals, perhaps, but there's much in their orchestrations. Lasers notwithstanding.

On a different topic, SeanAndKate's reply above, and the number of likes it got, underscores why this is the same problem as pot smokers convincing their kids not to blaze: the issue isn't *pot*, it's "mature judgement".

You simply can't *see* that until 10 years on, when you didn't have an unexpected kid for 10 years.

FWIW: it is not my experience that "most people don't really connect to" TSO music. The originals, perhaps, but there's much in their orchestrations. Lasers notwithstanding.

Yeah, I might have been underestimating their audience...

The rock opera format is a tough sell; the lush arrangements of traditional/classical tunes are very accessible.

Lo these many years ago I took over as Production Manager with a small pro theatre co that had a strong tradition of "pranks" on matinees. I hated it. The audience deserve the best possible performance and if you are worrying about whats going to happen to you if you open that drawer they ain't gonna get it. I over about a year got it down to where on matinees there was a toy cat somewhere on set placed by the crew just before the beginners call. Some of our regular audiences found out about it and got into the game telling the FOH manager when they spotted it. It was a bit of gentle fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back