Career Advice Questions Regarding IATSE (Specifically Local 13)

Henning

A Bit of Background: I'm a 17 year old Senior in High School that is looking to go to school in the area around Local 13 for college. While I'm well aware I won't be getting any calls for awhile because 1. I wont turn 18 till march and 2. They have no idea I exist. I still wanted to find out more on how the Locals work and more Specifically Local 13.

So far I've read;
the Summer Stock thread.
The Landing a Job in the Industry Thread.
The College Education Thread.

Each of them have given me plenty of information but none have given me a clear understanding of how IATSE works and how I can start doing jobs with the Local. So here are my questions:

1. Where do I go to get more involved with my Local (Local 13), their website doesn't give any clear guidelines on how to start.
2. If I even get on a call, what should I expect? Of course long hours and grueling work, but should I be ready for anything else?
3. What courses or qualifications look good in the eyes of IASTE, I already hold an OSHA 10 in General Industries ( we all have to start somewhere, right?) But I what else can I do to not only improve my chances of getting a call, but to make sure I'm doing things correctly and safely while I'm on a call?

Thanks in advanced, - Joe

1. Where do I go to get more involved with my Local (Local 13), their website doesn't give any clear guidelines on how to start.

It's fairly clear from their website, just hard to find --

REFERRAL LIST APPLICANTS:
Applications for the Referral List are available at Local 13's business office or call Joan to have one emailed to you,
call_skype_logo.png
612-379-7564. At this time, we are only accepting applications from people that have at least one year of experience in the industry or a college degree/certificate in a Stagehand related field.

Take a visit down to their office, or use the many contact links on their website and ask them questions. Call them, email them, whatever you got to do. I wouldn't expect too much work available if you're 17 -- workplace safety laws aren't too flexible when working in a dangerous active work-zone and you're under 18.

2. If I even get on a call, what should I expect? Of course long hours and grueling work, but should I be ready for anything else?

It depends on where you get staffed. Minneapolis has a lot of stuff going on. Your most likely first call will be a large all-hands call, where you will most likely be staffed as a pusher, lx, or steel crew. Pushers push boxes. LX will handle lighting, once that is done you may roll over to being a pusher. Steel crew literally handles the heavy steel decking the stage is made out of in an arena. You carry a hammer, and you knock out pins in the deck to put the stage away. Usually you roll to being a pusher afterwards.

It's usually a minimum 4 hour call, could be 8 or longer depending on the gig. It could be grueling work, it could just be moderately uncomfortable work. Just be prepared to do the job assigned, and flexible if things change.

3. What courses or qualifications look good in the eyes of IASTE, I already hold an OSHA 10 in General Industries ( we all have to start somewhere, right?) But I what else can I do to not only improve my chances of getting a call, but to make sure I'm doing things correctly and safely while I'm on a call?

The 10 hour is cool, but even with 10 years in the industry I haven't had to get that (though I have had numerous opportunities to do so). The best thing you can do is just show up on time with the tools for the job, know your basic knots, be polite and respectful, work hard, and be flexible to a changing environment. You may have to work fast, but that doesn't mean you have to work un-safe, so be aware of your surroundings and do what you got to do.

Your biggest qualifications to get jobs within the union will literally just be a good demeanor and a grasp of the tasks at hand. You'll have to make friends with the call stewards for every venue you work at, and if you can get to be on their call lists, they won't have to hit up the referral list for strangers. So be nice, talk to folks, and make sure they know your name and like your attitude and the work you do.

Thank you for the quick reply! A few other things. Kinda related.

1. What is the call steward?
2. While this is kinda off topic, last winter I had the chance to run A1 at the Guthrie theater for my schools competition One Act. While I was there I noticed a ton of things had the Local 13 logo stenciled on it. Whats the reasoning behind this?

1. What is the call steward?
Each venue has a steward, they are responsible for staffing and making sure they are following the union rules. Generally they are the face of the union to the non-union management/owners of a venue. For the overhire, they are the folks who hire you and make sure things are running smoothly.

2. While this is kinda off topic, last winter I had the chance to run A1 at the Guthrie theater for my schools competition One Act. While I was there I noticed a ton of things had the Local 13 logo stenciled on it. Whats the reasoning behind this?

The logo is called a bug. It's on everything so everyone knows it's a union show or came from a union shop - union pride, etc.

Each venue has a steward, they are responsible for staffing and making sure they are following the union rules. Generally they are the face of the union to the non-union management/owners of a venue. For the overhire, they are the folks who hire you and make sure things are running smoothly.

The logo is called a bug. It's on everything so everyone knows it's a union show or came from a union shop - union pride, etc.
How common is it for a new hand to get called? I would think most stewards would have favourites.

How common is it for a new hand to get called? I would think most stewards would have favourites.

So just to explain my qualifications my card is from 9 and I work with 55 now. I have never worked in 13 but have to assume they work like most of the locals I have dealt with when I did audio.

How often you are called is a matter of a bunch of things. As a new hand you can only expect to get the load in and out calls on large shows. Don't expect to get a show call and don't ask. What are you skilled in and what do they need, if you are a carp and they need carps, you'll work, if you only do lights and they need carps, well you may not work. How fast can you learn a new skill, if you pick things up fast it helps. Are you pleasant to work with? Biggest way to not work is to be a know it all. Make friends with everyone, listen to what they say and even if you don't agree don't argue. One exception, if it is not safe, say that you are not comfortable doing it. Don't tell war stories about academic theatre, you will just look silly. Stay in contact with the business agent or whom ever makes the calls but don't pester them, find out how early calls are given and be in touch in that window. Knowing what is coming up in town is important so you know when that call should be placed. If you don't know what Pollstar is find out, best way to know what concerts are coming up, and in a lot of locals the concerts are where you will start. That and WWE calls where they need stupid amounts of hands. Basically be nice, work hard and listen. Oh, and as a new guy, never turn down a call if possible. I would also suggest you talk to the tech person at your university. I have brought many people into IA calls because the BA called me and asked me if I knew anyone that could work a show. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back