Quick MagicQ ? - moving lights and aiming

Uncle Dirtnap

Hello all - I'm using MagicQ on PC for an upcoming show and the community theatre, and recently had 4 chinese 90w moving heads donated. I found a head def that matched it pretty close (color assignments are off a bit) but works great otherwise.

I have everything well measured, and the fixtures patched in the visualizer just fine, but when I clicked on center stage to target in plan view, nothing really works. 2 get halfway there, one goes off into the audience, and the other ends up on the opposite apron. Is there some moving light calibration step I am missing? How on earth could the focus on target actually work without it?

Any chance the moving heads have a manual or a dmx assignment chart? It could be that there are some additional movement types buried in the channels that the board doesn't know about.

I can't comment on the MagicQ specific stuff, I've never used the software.

Hi

Can you check that all your fixtures are set to the same mode option on the fixture. Then check that they all tilt in the same direction/speed in real life. Then the same check for pan.

If they do not, you may need to flip pan or tilt in the patch window for one or more fixture until you have them all behaving with position control first.

You may also need to check their rotations in the visualiser are set so that they move correctly in the visualiser and match the direction in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back