Quick Question--Will It Work

Heh, ironically I put more conventionals up there than has been done before.

All of those colored dots are Pars, each par on an individual dimmer.

I'm also incorporating tons of conventional blinders (not shown), I have a picture of my plans for those but I'm on a laptop right now so I'll have to post that later.

As far as front light--that's not pictured because just about all of this stuff is back light. I'm using the Studio Colors in the pit to provide front light for the bands/dance acts, and hung lekos to light the skits.

I was considering adding a couple s4s to the rig for specials in case I wanted them, but my dimmer space is severely limited (unbelievably so, I think I have 7 dimmers left after the pars and blinders with which to light the skits) and I figured any specials I needed done could just be achieved with the Mac700s.

For VectorWorks, I've been trying to see if I could get a copy of WYSIWYG, who knows where that will go...in the meantim, I'm stuck oldschooling it.

Just pop that design in to MA 3D from MA lighting - it's a free visualizer, and fun to mess around with. I have yet to even come close to mastering it, but it's great. Besides just this show, it's really fun to make up cool setups that you'll never be able to touch, but look really cool in the visualizer. And I've heard that you can control shows that you make in MA 3D with the MA PC software. All of this is free, they just charge you an arm and a leg for the interface to actually control a show.

To be honest i own a copy of WYSIWYG and its not worth the money in my opinion. There are many reasons why but mostly because the cost is not reflected in the product or the coustomer service. There have been many issues with coustomer service lately mostly relating to subscriptions and i wouldnt buy the software again if i had the choice.

There are other options such as esp vision. I would recommend just going for vectorworks as a render is not really necessary. A good plot can be more effective.
JH

I'll definitely take that into account, JH (actually getting the software was a long shot at any rate, but good to know if I ever work up the money).

And to soundlight--hot ****, downloading that now.

Edit: Having trouble making the grandMA 3D work with the Offline (Start new session? Network connections? What?)...I'll have to take a look at this later, but thanks tons for the heads up!

Last edited:
As I said, I've been told that this will work, but i can't get it to work...I was going to do alot more reading up on it this next semester when I'll probably use it for some lighting design projects. I also have to work on creating and saving fixture groups and worlds.

I'm curious, when you are showing those lights in the pit, from the drawing I get the idea that they are on floor mounts, or are they up in the air. I'm just wondering how much punch you will get from where you have them now. You might want to think about putting a pair of studio colors on each side of the stage on truss similar to where you had those technobeams last year.

I've had 3D and onPC networked on the same computer working fine in the past. I don't remember how I did it though and I don't have those programs anymore. But it does work.

two words: EDUCATIONAL DISCOUNTS

I'm not sure if you are a student or teacher, but based on you signature you work at a school, in which qualifying you for educational discounts. I recently purchased Vectorworks Design (includes spotlight and 4 other versions) with Renderworks for a student affordable $160. which is quite a steal considering the non educational version goes for 1700 as i remember. I'm currently learning the program for an Independent Study in school. And yes the educational version is exactly the same as the full version, it just says educational on it.
Or if you are just looking to put together basic plots, I started out using Adobe Illustrator, and it worked fine, but its nothing like Vectorworks. So if you have Illustrator already, you can create basic plots using that. If you are going to buy something though, buy Vectorworks, and if you need it I could give you the number to the person there that helped me.
Good luck -

-Nick

I'm curious, when you are showing those lights in the pit, from the drawing I get the idea that they are on floor mounts, or are they up in the air. I'm just wondering how much punch you will get from where you have them now. You might want to think about putting a pair of studio colors on each side of the stage on truss similar to where you had those technobeams last year.

Actually, that was the strange thing. Last year we had some ungodly amount of studio colors hanging, something like 17. The rental company gave us two extra, so we put them in the pit on platforms so they were on the same level as the stage.

I swear, those two colors did more than the entire flying wash light rig.

They provide great front light, and for some reason they are excellent for washing the haze and getting some great aerials. The front light aspect is important to me though--no more hassle with 5 spots, or our crappy conventionals.

Meanwhile though, I think I'm going to have to change that rig, the rental company's rental catalog and actual prices differ more than significantly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back