Quickstep on ETC Obsession II ?

KaR356i

On the Express boards, there is a very handy little function called quickstep that you can use just to run through your cues without the fade times. I used it a lot, and it's driving me nuts that I haven't found that function on the Obsession. I finally searched the manual and the closest thing I found was 'check cue' but I don't think it will let me just hit next and run through them. I can't check at the moment because we're in the middle of a show...I'll probably end up writing a macro to do it, but wondered if any of you have found a built in feature that does something like this?

Any suggestions would be great :)

Thanks!

I wondered if there wasn't another name for it. I took quick look and haven't found anything that says cut.... what would this button do?

I haven't tried this, but you might be able to hit "Goto Cue - Next." I don't think I have even needed to be able to do that on an Obsession, so I would be interested to know if that works. If it does, I suppose it would take you into the next cue in a time of 2 like Goto Cue usually does.

Well, the cut feature is something I have only seen on Strand boards, which is just another button by the Go button which just ignores the fade time. It's the same thing, but instead of changing the mode, it is just it's own button. I don't think any ETC boards have this.

Because the Obsession does not have a goto button (I also think that is also only a Strand thing), if you want to make a macro you use the Sneak function.

The Obsession does have have a "Goto Cue" Button.

While messing around with the Obsession II offline software, I confirmed you can do the [Goto Cue] [Next] [Enter]. The default Back/GoToCue time is 1 second. That can be changed in the system settings screen to a zero count. Then just record a [Goto Cue] [Next] [Enter] macro, and you'll have your cut button right there.

Thanks! I'd already found the [Go to Cue] [Next] [Enter] under "Check Cues" in the manual, just haven't tested it yet. I was planning to make a macro for that if you guys didn't know of another way. Just thought I might be missing something! Turns out, ETC just didn't think they needed it as a softkey anymore I guess.

Thanks for your help :)

Just my little rant.... The obsession software is based off the Lightpallet software by strand. They basically copied the functionality. There is not really any real through line between the expression software and the obsession software.

On the Obsession based on Lightpallette software thing, we have an original obsession (the purple monster). We also have a LightPallette 90. Absolutely the same board, the LP90 is just a bajillion times bigger and requires an external processor while the Obsession is smaller, self contained, and has more output channels. Same controls, same functionality, same windows and menus, but the Obsession loses the built-in keyboard and dual-PCB backup technology that the LP90 had.

[Goto][Cue][Number][Time][0][Enter]

That is the sequence for running in a cue on the O2. You might be able to subsitutue the cue number with [Next], but i have never tried it. But the [Time][0] runs the cue in with a disreguard to fade times. Also, i would not advise changing the default cue time as that could possibly (im not sure) change the cue times for any cue which has the defualt time. I'm not sure, but i wouldnt recommend changing the default time without clearing it by the designer first. Hope this helps!

On the Obsession based on Lightpallette software thing, we have an original obsession (the purple monster). We also have a LightPallette 90. Absolutely the same board, the LP90 is just a bajillion times bigger and requires an external processor while the Obsession is smaller, self contained, and has more output channels. Same controls, same functionality, same windows and menus, but the Obsession loses the built-in keyboard and dual-PCB backup technology that the LP90 had.

I assume you're referring to the Obsession 600 as the purple monster. And i agree that it is simalair to the LP90, as is the O2 but ETC added the external processor [which comes in both a single and a dual processor (in a master/slave configuration). But it doesnt matter, as ETC no longer manufactures the obsession series and is banking on the Eos to be the next big thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back