R-Columbia Headset Wiring

EDC

I'm rather new to headsets and such -- but we have a R-Columbia intercom headset (we use it on a Clear-Com wired system) whose connector has come off. The wires are red, white, black, and bare; and the terminals are marked 1 through 4. (I don't know the terminology for the connector type, but it's about a 5/8-in. cylindrical form with four pin-sockets.) Does anyone know which wires go to which terminals? (I've tried to go to rcolumbia.com and tried their phone number -- out of service, both. Have they gone out of business?)

For the CC40 the wire colors are a little different and should be

Pin 1, Shield
Pin 2, Red
Pin 3, Black
Pin 4, White
EDC the connector type is a 4pin XLR. Switchcraft #A4F for the cord mounted headset connector.
proxy.php

Switchcraft Corporation Switchcraft XLR Connectors - 4-Pin Cable Ends XLR Connectors at Markertek.com

Cannon and Neutrik make compatible connectors.

I think R-Columbia may have been purchased and disbanded by Telex a while back.

Thanks, cprted and derekleffew. The connector is indeed an XLR; and I contacted Telex tech support. Seems they don't know anything about R-Columbia, but they felt sure the pinout should be 1-Bare, 2-White, 3-Black, and 4-Red. I tried it and it worked perfectly!

Good good. Always nice to get gear off the workbench and back into service!

As a general principle, shield will always be on the mic - so pin 1.
You then go looking for the lowish impedance pair of the 3 remaining wires that will be the earphones.

Some headsets are up to 1500 ohms impedance an ear, hence the use of lowish...

A year later with related information. Attached is from a fax I got from Clear-Com on one of their headsets (CC-75B). It shows their wiring plan. My handwritten note regarding the RS-100A beltpakcs.

Attachments

• CC-75B_Diagram.pdf
    39.1 KB · Views: 259
Thanks, EWCguy. What a timely post! I'm planning to replace another disconnected connector next week, and had totally forgotten this thread. I'll use that diagram as a backup in case the headset I'll be repairing has different-colored wires from the one I did last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back