The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

R-Columbia Headset Wiring

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by EDC, May 3, 2009.

1. EDC

EDC Member

I'm rather new to headsets and such -- but we have a R-Columbia intercom headset (we use it on a Clear-Com wired system) whose connector has come off. The wires are red, white, black, and bare; and the terminals are marked 1 through 4. (I don't know the terminology for the connector type, but it's about a 5/8-in. cylindrical form with four pin-sockets.) Does anyone know which wires go to which terminals? (I've tried to go to rcolumbia.com and tried their phone number -- out of service, both. Have they gone out of business?)

2. cprted

cprted Active Member

3. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

[user]EDC[/user] the connector type is a 4pin XLR. Switchcraft #A4F for the cord mounted headset connector.
    [​IMG]
    Switchcraft Corporation Switchcraft XLR Connectors - 4-Pin Cable Ends XLR Connectors at Markertek.com

Cannon and Neutrik make compatible connectors.

I think R-Columbia may have been purchased and disbanded by Telex a while back.

4. EDC

EDC Member

Thanks, cprted and derekleffew. The connector is indeed an XLR; and I contacted Telex tech support. Seems they don't know anything about R-Columbia, but they felt sure the pinout should be 1-Bare, 2-White, 3-Black, and 4-Red. I tried it and it worked perfectly!

5. cprted

cprted Active Member

Good good. Always nice to get gear off the workbench and back into service!

6. Chris15

Chris15 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

As a general principle, shield will always be on the mic - so pin 1.
    You then go looking for the lowish impedance pair of the 3 remaining wires that will be the earphones.

Some headsets are up to 1500 ohms impedance an ear, hence the use of lowish...

7. EDC

EDC Member

Good tip, Chris15. Thanks!

8. EWCguy

EWCguy Member

A year later with related information. Attached is from a fax I got from Clear-Com on one of their headsets (CC-75B). It shows their wiring plan. My handwritten note regarding the RS-100A beltpakcs.

Attached Files:

9. EDC

EDC Member

Thanks, EWCguy. What a timely post! I'm planning to replace another disconnected connector next week, and had totally forgotten this thread. I'll use that diagram as a backup in case the headset I'll be repairing has different-colored wires from the one I did last year.