Rack-mount mixer/audio combiner

LPdan

I have several install applications where I need to combine 2 audio sources (at high quality). Examples include:
1. Stage monitors being fed by both a rehearsal system and a main house mix bus.
2. School aud main PA being fed by both main house L/R as well as an "assembly mic" input.
Protection features such as a limiter could be a plus, but not required. Would prefer something with as few additional features as possible, such as EQ.
Can anyone steer me to a product or other suggestion to accomplish this?

RDL ST-MX2 ?

proxy.php

How about a zone mixer like this Behringer? It's got 2 inputs and up to 6 outputs. This is the least expensive/least complicated one I was able to find quickly. I've seen units similar to this used in a number of restaurants to control house music and/or a basic PA system.

proxy.php

Can anyone comment on the quality of brands RDL (such as above) and ART? Looking for something a step above Behringer.

Can anyone comment on the quality of brands RDL (such as above) and ART? Looking for something a step above Behringer.
@LPdan I'd speak extremely positively in favor of RDL, ATI (Audio Technologies Incorporated, NOT Audio Toys the other ATI) and RANE Corporation, you may think of Rane for their lines of DJ gear but they're REALLY much more than that with an extensive array of extremely high quality products intended to go into racks and operate 24 / 7 / 365 except every fourth year when they continue performing flawlessly for that extra day.
One of the major snake and break out manufacturers, possibly Whirlwind, used to have a line of one and two RU mixers as well and so did a company in Rochester who were most famous for their extremely durable and well protected MOSFET power amplifiers. I suspect these latter two may no longer be manufacturing their small analog mixers.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

RDL is great. Pricey because their volume of product sales is low given how specialized the product is but you can often find their widgets on eBay for a third of the price. The RDL stuff is better for "set it and forget it" uses because the wires are landed on screw terminals and the mix settings are adjusted via screwdriver.

If you're looking for something versatile but don't want to drop much coin, look for old DSP's on eBay. Lot of old Biamp Audias and Nexias for dirt cheap if you don't mind logging into the system to make changes from a Windows PC. Many of them are still in fine working order and were replaced as part of a conference or theater sound system upgrade and not because of a failure of the DSP. This would give you a drag-and-drop mixing/routing/EQ/limiter/etc interface for whatever you need.

I have several install applications where I need to combine 2 audio sources (at high quality). Examples include:
1. Stage monitors being fed by both a rehearsal system and a main house mix bus.
2. School aud main PA being fed by both main house L/R as well as an "assembly mic" input.
Protection features such as a limiter could be a plus, but not required. Would prefer something with as few additional features as possible, such as EQ.
Can anyone steer me to a product or other suggestion to accomplish this?

These functions are performed by a DSP in modern systems. If you are allowed to buy used, there's quite a bit of Biamp Tesira gear on eBay right now for pennies on the dollar.

Just be semi-cautious on some older models for compatibility. We have some QSC Cobranet units that are fine, but won't run on Windows 10 (period). Not a biggie keeping a W7 machine around and we're probably going DANTE soon anyway. But something to keep in mind.

Just be semi-cautious on some older models for compatibility. We have some QSC Cobranet units that are fine, but won't run on Windows 10 (period). Not a biggie keeping a W7 machine around and we're probably going DANTE soon anyway. But something to keep in mind.

If the problem is connecting from a browser, the issue is more likely Edge, not Win 10. Edge refuses to connect to anything via a network IP address. I stumbled into that recently. After a few minutes of confusion and Googling, I simply installed Firefox and it worked perfectly.

I have also encountered some older equipment that still requires Java, so it could be that, too. Thankfully, the better manufacturers are providing updates that remove the need for Java. It's the same issue with Flash.

Last edited:
This was their application(s) and drivers. Tried running in "Windows 7 Mode" and no-go. Told by QSC that they weren't supporting it anymore. So we keep a W7 machine handy that just runs the server apps and as long as that's running, we're GTG on everything else. Still, a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back