Rack panels for some RF linking and Ant. In

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by NickVon, Mar 21, 2019.

1. NickVon

NickVon Well-Known Member

Anyone have any suggestions for some 1ru Rack panels, custom or not.

I have a bunch of RF jumpers and and BNC/BNC pass through couplers (with the 1 side shaved down't so they don't spin in a hole.

I looked at Markertek and there custome panel program which seems reasonably priced but I haved to buy the connectors, I can't seem to just buy pre punched panels.

I need like (3) 1u panels: (1) with 6 holes, (2) with 4 holes.

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. MNicolai

MNicolai Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Consultant
    Whirlwind, ACE Backstage, etc. Their sales desks may kick you to a dealer just to handle the payment processing but if you send them a sketch and let them know you want it punch-only, no connectors, they can put a price tag on it and drop ship it directly to you. Shouldn't cost much more if you want any labeling put on the panels.

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. KBToys82

KBToys82 Active Member

RonHebbard likes this.
  4. FMEng

FMEng Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Ben Stiegler and RonHebbard like this.
  5. NickVon

6. Joel - Studio 52

Joel - Studio 52 Member

Audio Engineer/Business Owner
    I bought blank single space panels and drilled the holes myself. Way cheaper than buying the pre-punched. They've worked well for me so far.

Aaron Becker and RonHebbard like this.
  7. Aaron Becker

Aaron Becker Well-Known Member

+1 for this... Those custom shops get way too much, unless you really desire the ultra-professional looking labeling.

Joel - Studio 52 and RonHebbard like this.
  8. Joel - Studio 52

Joel - Studio 52 Member

I've done pretty well with a Brother label maker. One of these days I'm going to try different color tape and ink. Black on white is getting boring! lol

RonHebbard likes this.
  9. Aaron Becker

Aaron Becker Well-Known Member

I don't mind the Brother style label tape for racks or non-public facing stuff (tech booth included) - but for things that are in public spaces it can be nice to have a nice, custom engraved ID for the faceplate.

10. NickVon

The "problem" with Drilling out panels (which I could do my self I have the drill bits), is the panel mount BNC through couplers that come with Sennheiser/Shure systems have that side flat radi "not drilled out" so they don't spin in a circular hole.

11. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

@NickVon Can you source washers with the correct flatted hole and a tiny bent tab which you place in a correctly located and drilled .125" hole to lock the flatted washer from rotating? In the 1960's such washers were popular for preventing toggle switches from rotating. The last time I purchased any they were from Grayhill, a manufacturer of durable push buttons, toggle and rotary switches for OEM's, typically broadcast and recording consoles in the analog era.
    @NickVon Googling "Grayhill anti turn washers" immediately pulled up an assortment of images for stainless steel anti turn washers manufactured by Grayhill and distributed by Newark Electronics on your side of Donald's walls.
    Here's a link for you: https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C...0..0i7i30j0j0i131j0i7i10i30j33i10.m2sTxn2DtGs
    Geeeze! That link runs on for ever.
    Toodleoo!
    Ron Hebbard

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  12. Joel - Studio 52

Joel - Studio 52 Member

Can't remember if mine were the flat sided pass through connectors or not. I remember holding the front side lightly with a vice grip after wrapping the connector with a cloth to keep it from getting scarred. Haven't had any issues with it in the many years since.

RonHebbard likes this.
  13. nightowlstagelighting

nightowlstagelighting Member

Hello, Try Dimmerrack.com. Don't let the name fool you, they make all kinds of pre-punched panels, and they have done custom stuff for us even.

RonHebbard likes this.
  14. DrewE

DrewE Active Member

Several companies make passthrough BNC connectors that are mounted to fit in XLR punchouts. XLR pre-punched panels are of course readily available from lots of sources in various configurations.

RonHebbard likes this.
  15. eadler

eadler Active Member

Director of Engineering (Broadcast)
    I cut mine out of smoked acrylic on the laser cutter at the local makerspace. Odds are you have a local metal shop in town that can do it for you out of metal if you want to go that way also.

RonHebbard likes this.
  16. Daniel Sepke

Daniel Sepke Member

I've used the Neutrik D sized patch panels for 8 or 12 connections, NZP1RU-8 & NZP1RU-12 respectively, then filled the extra holes with their blanks (DBA-BL). Neutrik make many flavours of 75 ohm BNC passthrough in D size which are aimed at video but they do not make a 50 ohm BNC for antennas/RF applications. Canare do make a 50 ohm d size passthorugh BNC, the BJ-JRUD, it's a special order item from most places (I sourced it from Full Compass).

RonHebbard likes this.
  17. dcaughran

dcaughran Member

Technical Director
    If you're looking for something really custom Front Panel Express will make you anything you can think of. I think they have presets for the Neutrik D size hole and they do have an option to have one side of the hole flat to prevent spinning. http://frontpanelexpress.com/