Rack Screw Heads: What's your favorite?

Which is your favorite type of rack screw?

• Phillips Head

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Square Drive

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Torx Drive

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

soundlight

Which is your favorite type of screw when installing rack gear? I ask because we are replacing alot of gear in our studio theatre rack, which has all three of the main head configurations for rack screws - torx, square, and phillips. It's quite annoying to change the bit every time I want to switch another piece of gear or move it in the rack, so I'm going to standardize to one kind of screw. Also, if you have any particular reason for picking the one that you did, post it here.

I have always just used phillips. They are easier to come by, and you don't have to buy a special driver to put them in. Unless you have a particular concern of people messing with your gear (taking it in and out with our your permission), I do not see any reason to go with a specialty screw.

~Dave

The head is not the important thing, it's the quality of the metal used to make it.
Don't buy cheap screws, you'll regret it later.

The head is not the important thing, it's the quality of the metal used to make it.
Don't buy cheap screws, you'll regret it later.
Good point, and you'll find that Torx and Robertson are generally stronger than Phillips-heads. I'm a big believer in Square Drive in general; but in this case, I feel it's the perfect compromise between accessibility and security. Then again, having all three types on one piece of gear could be considered a security measure. All locks do is keep the honest honest.

Last edited:
It is probably somewhat dependent upon the application. You might prefer Phillips for racks in secure areas or where equipment gets changes around a lot, but that preference might be Robertson (square) in Canada. Torx might be a better choice for racks where you want some minimal level of security but you might use proprietary security screws for readily accessible racks and I've had numerous schools and universities request that any equipment directly accessible by students be secured using security screws.

I don't mind hex head. Allen keys come in a size that can get a reasonable amount of torque on them. Also a degree of security.

Side question, we use M6 down here, I'm presuming you lot prefer some UNC size?

Somewhat related queries:

#1. What US Internet Vendor and link, has the best prices/widest selection of rack mount accessory drawers? I don't need/want M/A or A/L quality; "DJ-quality" is fine.

#2. What US Internet Vendor and link, has the best prices/widest selection of #2 Sq. (Robertson) head rack screws?

Thanks!

which has all three of the main head configurations for rack screws - torx, square, and phillips.
This happens to be one of my pet peeves in any application of fasteners, so I feel your pain.

Rebel that I am, I ignored everyone and bought Middle Atlantic #HTX 50pc. 10-32 Star Post Screws. I couldn't find my favorite #2Sq drives online easily, and since this was for a unit with lockable drawers, did not want a ne'verdowell to pull the entire locked drawer with his/her Phillips multi-tool.

Big Mistake. Don't ever buy these. Very low quality, and at $12/50, not inexpensive.

The sliding rack shelf I ordered, again mfg. Middle Atlantic was a lower quality version of the one I was expecting also. M/A will be getting a harsh letter from me soon.

On the plus side, the order got to me remarkable fast, ordered from vendor stayonline.com, and drop-shipped from Middle Atlantic.

I'd go with Robertson, simply because the philips screws always strip out on me!

For me it depends upon the application. For people who want security i use security screws, for our every day touring racks i use regular phillips screws.

Phillips strip, flat heads are from the devil, I happen to prefer Torx to square because you need the right tool to turn it so have a lot lesser chance of stripping in general plus more contact points. Plus a always like the conversation "Use the T20 Torx head for those bolts".......... "The star one"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back