Radioblog files

Schniapereli

I am trying to find a way to transfer radioblog files. I don't know about any of the coding or that high-tech stuff, but so far I have been connecting the speaker output into the line input of the computer, and recording a few songs as wav files with sound recorder. But, the levels are always either too loud and distorted, or there is a lot of white noise. I have played with adjusting the radioblog level, the computer level, and the recording level.

Is it just noisy because of the connection?
Is there a better way to do this?
Is this illegal? :(

I just want to be able run radioblog files on a computer with no internet access. (...maybe at school...in the auditorium) But, if that's illegal, I'll go out and buy the music I like.

This is the site. Has lots of songs. (is this site illegal? :( I have no idea of what is legal and what is not)

http://www.radioblogclub.com/

What is another good cheap site where I can download music for cheap/free? (...legally)

I have a program at home that rips the music directly from the soundcards output and exports it to wav. It's freeware if I rememer correctly. It allows you to rip streaming music from winamp, itunes, WMP, etc etc etc. When I get home I'll check.
As long as it's for you own personal use it's not illegal, No matter What the Big Evil Companies Say ! You have a right under Fair Use laws that allows you backup even DRM < digital Rights Management> locked files. Now there are a lot of deates over certain areas like ; you are not allowed to bypass copy protection software by decryptin the original content. This particular program does not do that it essentially pulls the signal through the PCI bus, and slaps it onto your hard drive. This all assuming you use a real computer, of course, If your'e using a boat anchor, sorry, Mac. Then you are SOL.

I don't think it would be legal to copy files from "radioblog". The basic principle of fair use laws is that you have gone out and purchased a book, movie, cd, etc... You own that product and you have the right to make a copy of it for YOUR own personal use. For example. After having 100 CD's stolen out of my car several years ago, my original CD's never leave the house now. I make a copy that sits in my car. As long as I am not using that copy at the same time I allow someone else to use the original (or vice versa) it's legal fair use. I earned the right to use it that way when I bought it. In the same way you are allowed to photo copy a book YOU OWN, rip a CD YOU OWN, or make a backup copy of a DVD YOU OWN.

I took a quick look at Radioblog. From what I saw it looks like people are essentially creating their own internet radio stations. They have the right through fair use laws to create that radioblog for their own personal use. It might even be legal for others to listen to that blog under free speech laws, although royalty laws might disagree. However the second you make a copy of that broadcast for YOUR personal use, those laws all go bye bye and ARRRR!! shiver me timbers you're a Pirate!! ARRR!!

A side fact that may help confuse you. When you video tape a TV show it's illegal to keep that tape forever and use it over and over. You are supposed to erase the copy after a couple of months. I don't remember how long exactly, but your right to fair use of that broadcast has a specific time limit. So if you think about that principle, it makes it sound like you should be able to play music from radioblog. But here's the catch, the people who created the TV show got paid to put it on TV and gave their permission for the broadcast to happen. The musicians who are having their music played on radioblog didn't get paid. Oh yeah and real radio stations pay a small royalty fee for every song they play.

In short if you find a way to get music for free on the net it's probably illegal (except situations where artists give songs away on their own website). If you want to sleep well at night knowing that an artist got paid a nickel when you played a song, just buy it.

Last edited:
OK. But, would it be legal if we got internet into the auditorium, and then just used the originals?

My brother is also in a multimedia class where the teacher is letting them use songs from radioblog to make a flash music video. He is using some software to copy it.

From what I have heard, schools are under different laws. I know the CMSEC (a school space simulation program) copies a lot of soundtracks, and uses them for their simulator misions. (which they charge for)

So, are the circumstances different if I just use the copies for school?

If not, I will gladly buy the music. Piracy is of the Devil. (Yarrr!) > :eek:

The person who uploads these files are violating copyright laws.

The Radioblog website is legal.

People listening to radioblog are not doing anything illegal.

Playing these files in your auditorium is a copyright violation if you charge admission.

Schools are under no different laws.

I would be very surprised if CMSEC used copyrighted media without the consent of the owner to produce it's product.

That said, the people who download from this site, sites like it, limewire, u Torrent, or any other venue, are leading to the demise of our very industry.

Last edited:
The only thing different about schools and copywrite/personal use laws is that schools have lot's of photo copy machines so it's easier to make your illegal copies quicker.

When a teacher has a classroom curriculum with handouts or work sheets, part of the price of purchasing that curriculum is the license to make and pass out copies. I think that some how teachers think that it's a God given right of educators to copy anything they want but that just isn't true. I've heard drama teachers claim they don't have to pay royalties for a play because it's educational theater.

The one that really gets me is video taping of performances... it's just flat illegal. When you sign the paperwork with a company like MTI or Samuel French for the rights to produce a show it clearly says that no video taping of the performance is allowed. Has anyone ever seen that law enforced in a high school theater? Instead there's usually a parent in the back handing out fliers on how to purchase a copy of the DVD. It's illegal.

CMSEC probably pays a small royalty fee to the artists for every student that uses their software... and if they don't they should.

ARRR!! Me English Teach-arrrr she be a scurvy dog of a Pirate!!! ARRR!!

Last edited:
Our schools always announce that pictures and video are prohibited, but we always have a professional photographer taking pictures. They also usually sell the pictures on a DVD, but no video. Out contract is with Music Theater International. The same photographer takes pictures for most of the school plays around here.

Well "Schni" you go to one of the rare schools who are doing it right, congratulations! As far as I know no one has a right to complain about still photos.

Avast there ye scurvy dogs !, It do be my belief that if imatation is the sincerest form of flattery, then Piracy is greatest form respect !.
Arrrrrrr!
Eat a Lime !
http://www.boggandsalty.com/

Alrighty then this Hijack do be over.

Now, don't say that ALL videotaping of performances in a school are illegal - just most. There are some royalty houses that allow you to make ONE archival tape for the "records" for an additional fee. I know when we did "Les Miz - High School Edition" we paid MTI a fee (in my opinion the fee was way too high) to have a legal video recorded as our record of the show. We do not let that video out of the Music Department for fear that someone will make a copy and keep it for themselves. Other royalty houses (R&H comes to mind) will under no circumstances allow a video to be made.

When I came on board here I had many, many angry parents coming at me because I stopped the illegal making of videos. But I never waivered from the fact that it was illegal and could result in the permanent stopping of any type of show being on stage again, if the District or any of the production team were sued! It can be done legally!!!

Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back