Rain

Charc

In my limited experience, rain sound effects just sound like static. I'm working with a community theatre (LD), and I foresee some issues with their sound. I'm sorta stepping in more on this project, giving input in areas besides lighting.

I'm close to suggesting QLab and volunteering to do the sound design for this show... but maybe one thing at a time.

Any suggestions on rain, thunderstorms, and how to make them sound believable, not real?

Thanks

I always mix my own. I do use an extensive library of prerecorded fx, but for rain / storm effects, try layering several different types of rain fx (in addition to thunder, hail, and wind as needed). I have found this gives me more control over how the storm sounds / works with the ryhthm of the show. After you try it in a rehearsal or two, you can then combine the different "rains" into one track / cue. You still might want to keep the thunder and other layers as seperate cues so they fit into the rhythm of the show (awkwardly placed thunder might disrupt a scend instead of adding to it). Dont be afraid to play with the EQ on your prerecorded effects to see if that helps make them sound more realistic. Just my $0.02.

~Dave

i bought one of those meditation cds and just use effect speakers on stage to simulate rain. it normally does the trick

a lot of ambient effects sound like static, or for that matter sound like each other. (wind, rain, waves etc. can all sound very similar depending on how they're styled and where they're coming from) sometimes it's what the ambient sound is affecting that pulls it out and defines it. (in rain's case, exclusively what defines it since we don't hear rain drops falling. hehehe..)

try asking yourself or the director what the rain is actually hitting for surfaces in addition to intensity. (rain on a tin roof vs. a wood house, the impact sound when done right will pull it out as rain and not static.) wind, are there chimes near by or leaves? something to blow in the wind. waves, are there birds somewhere...something else in the environment to show that there's water nearby (cheesy and not always necessary but they can definetly help in the right moments.)

For a moment there, I thought I was listening to the movie, Twister.:lol:

Now I don't know what show this is for, but possibly try for a little more subtlety next time.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back