Ramp Connectors

So here is my problem, hope someone has the answer. I have built a platform that is 18" tall. I want to connect ramps to the left and right side. I have built the ramps with a 15 degree slope and all is well. I would like to move the ramps and platform onto the stage in pieces as they are to heavy to move as a single unit. I used to be able to buy a connector that had a female side that looked like a rectangular piece of metal that was open in teh center. The ramp would then have a male metal piece that could be lowered into the opening on the female side and prevent the ramp and platform from sliding apart. I can't for the life of me find such a thing and was hoping someone knows what I am talking about. If you have any ideas I would greatly appreciate your feedback. Better yet, if you would email me at [email protected] I would be most thankful.

Thanks
Karn Gustafson
Technical Director
Volcano Vista High School Performing Arts Center.

I know exactly what you are talking about and use it myself all the time! I find my hardware like this in the dock section of the big box hardware store up here called Menards.

Kenneth Pogin
Production / tour Manager
Minnesota Ballet

I know exactly what you are talking about and use it myself all the time! I find my hardware like this in the dock section of the big box hardware store up here called Menards.

Kenneth Pogin
Production / tour Manager
Minnesota Ballet

Kenneth,

What is this hardware called. I live in New Mexico and there is not much in the way of dock supplies here. If I had a product name I could start searching.

Thanks
Karn Gustafson
Technical Director
Volcano Vista High School Performing Arts Center.

Try Googling Rotolock. I use this Southco product by the dozens for purposes very similar to your own. One Google result

This is the same hardware that was refered to earlier as a coffin lock.

I really appreciate all of the feedback. Still looking as the connection is between the platform and the ramp so the rotolock/coffin lock does not really work. I am thinking about using a simply eye screw and hook combo to hold the two items together. Any other feedbook would be most appreciated.

Karn Gustafson
Technical Director
Volcano Vista High School Performing Arts Center:grin:

Jamix DockWare Dock Brackets: Sectional Dock Hardware Systems - Premium Hardware for the Do-It-Yourselfer

here is a quick find of something similar to what I use. It's called a hook bracket. I love this type of hooking platforms and ramps together, very quick and strong and requires no tools like a coffin lock would.

Here's another site, this is closer to what I can get at my local hardware store:
http://www.veveinc.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=80

I would stay away from the hook and eye idea, that hardware is not rated for the side load you want to put on it.

Ken Pogin
Production / Tour Manager
Minnesota Ballet

Last edited:
Ken

That is exactly what I am looking for. I can't thank you enough. I will be ordering some of these ASAP.

Karn Gustafson
Technical Director
Volcano Vista High School Performing Arts Center

proxy.php
t_305_01.jpg
t_306_01.jpg
MNBallet's suggestion appears to be simply a beefier version of the picture hook.

I really appreciate all of the feedback. Still looking as the connection is between the platform and the ramp so the rotolock/coffin lock does not really work. I am thinking about using a simply eye screw and hook combo to hold the two items together. Any other feedbook would be most appreciated.

Karn Gustafson
Technical Director
Volcano Vista High School Performing Arts Center:grin:

Perhaps I'm just cheap, but would loose-pin-hinges on the sides of the ramp work? Mate the ramp to the platform, drop the pins, and off you go.
Matt

Hinges with quick pins was going to be my suggestion. I have built L shaped stair cases that were individual units, rolled out and hindged together. I have found it is far easier in the dark than any other solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back