Random Playlist based on Time of Day

macsound

Related but different question about music playback.
Can anyone conceptualize a series of random playlists that are related to time of day.
Inspiration comes from Downtown Disney at Disneyland in California.
Essentially I want morning music, midday music, afternoon music and night music. Each "playlist" would be crafted based on genre to fit the mood of the time of day. Morning - Light and Inspiring, Midday - Natural and Rock, etc.
So I'd want there to be like 100 songs in each playlist so people aren't hearing the exact same songs played in the exact same order because that's how I designed it and it would make it easy to add and remove songs per playlist.

Maybe this is a complex thing I could do in QLab... Not sure

You can do this easy peasy in Qlab.

For instance, you can create several groups in the same workspace, each group contains the songs you want for evening/morning/afternoon etc. You then have cues which are triggered from the "wall clock" function, and set the groups to fire "childs" (the Qlab name for individual (audio)cues inside every group) randomly.

At 08.00 start Cue "morning", which then fires tracks within the group "morning". At 12.00 start Cue "midday" which fires tracks from the group "midday" etc. To keep it tidy you can also create several workspaces within the same project, if you'd like. One containing audio cues for morning, one containing afternoon etc, which are triggered from your "main" workspace, although it might not be needed for this use.

Remember to program a stop targeting any sub-cues going when a new main cue is triggered, so you don't have two songs playing at the same time at 12:00.

Go on youtube and search for "Qlab groups".

*Edit: Haha. I just saw your second post, thought it was not the same person writing 1st and second in the thread at first.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back