Range plug (NEMA 14-50) to Distro box--help!

DMXpro

Hello all,
I am currently working on a community theater lighting project, and I ran into a little problem with the dimmers we have. They are a "pole mount" style (with clamps), they each are rated for 1.2kW and have two edison (grounded) plugs coming out of the bottom. However, the space backstage where we are going to put the dimmers only has a NEMA 14-50 receptacle (a stove plug, I guess), which probably outputs 240 volts AC. I was thinking of making a sort of distro box where the stove plug would go into the wall, and then break out into two separate 120VAC outlets. The reason I need to use this outlet is because it's rated for 50 amps, and there aren't any other outlets nearby. How would I go about wiring this distro box? If the plug has two hot, one ground and one neutral, do I wire one hot, ground and neutral to one edison outlet and the other h/g/n to the other? Will this send 120 VAC to each outlet, or will they be 240V a piece? :neutral:

This definitely fall under the category of, if you are not 100% sure what your are doing, consult a certified electrician. We cannot tell you here step by step how to wire this, because we cannot be certain someone will not misinterpret the information in the future and cause themselves or others great harm.

This being said, there are several companies that make the products you are looking for. Companies like Motion Labs and LEX Products make products dedicated to our industry. You might want to look to their catalogues for a solution.

~Dave

Hello all,
I am currently working on a community theater lighting project, and I ran into a little problem with the dimmers we have. They are a "pole mount" style (with clamps), they each are rated for 1.2kW and have two edison (grounded) plugs coming out of the bottom. However, the space backstage where we are going to put the dimmers only has a NEMA 14-50 receptacle (a stove plug, I guess), which probably outputs 240 volts AC. I was thinking of making a sort of distro box where the stove plug would go into the wall, and then break out into two separate 120VAC outlets. The reason I need to use this outlet is because it's rated for 50 amps, and there aren't any other outlets nearby. How would I go about wiring this distro box? If the plug has two hot, one ground and one neutral, do I wire one hot, ground and neutral to one edison outlet and the other h/g/n to the other? Will this send 120 VAC to each outlet, or will they be 240V a piece? :neutral:

Yes and no. Seek help by way someone with more training and elexperience in doing anything like this. To do it for you or to physically supervise you in this idea.

Sounds simple enough in idea but not all that simple in how you might do so or in giving avice on how to unless doing it. Sorry but probably one of them things left to more experience in supervision on-site.

NEMA 14-50R power distro/breakout?

Hey everyone,

Our building is wired with a 14-50R plug on the wall, and I'm wanting to build a way for us to access it. It's a multi-use space so we have to cart in all our sound and lighting gear. From everything I've read online there should be 12,000 watts available via that plug, if I can correctly access it from 240 volts, but I can't seem to find a guide, or a product, that will convert that to a bunch of 20 amp plugs I can use for our standard Edison gear (smartbars, power amps for speakers, etc). I've done standard theater wiring before (stagepins, HBL, etc) but nothing with breakers or converting from voltages.
It's also fine to say this is way over my head, and link me to a product, but I'd like to learn this sort of thing.

Re: NEMA 14-50R power distro/breakout?

I'd advise against building one's own distro. Two commercial options:

1. Motion Labs 3 Space Rac Pac, but ordered with NEMA 14-50 s rather than "California" plugs. A semi-custom order. OR (likely less expensive), buy the stock item and build yourself a male 14-50 to female CS6364 adapter; you'll need a 6/4 SO cable to get from the wall to wherever you place the distro anyway.

2. The Peavey Distro™. Provides exactly what you're seeking, at an MSRP of $599.

Last edited:

Hey everyone,

Our building is wired with a 14-50R plug on the wall, and I'm wanting to build a way for us to access it. It's a multi-use space so we have to cart in all our sound and lighting gear. From everything I've read online there should be 12,000 watts available via that plug, if I can correctly access it from 240 volts, but I can't seem to find a guide, or a product, that will convert that to a bunch of 20 amp plugs I can use for our standard Edison gear (smartbars, power amps for speakers, etc). I've done standard theater wiring before (stagepins, HBL, etc) but nothing with breakers or converting from voltages.
It's also fine to say this is way over my head, and link me to a product, but I'd like to learn this sort of thing.

I think the important thing here is to point out that the reason that building you own distro is a not the best choice (and why the one you need that Derek found is listed at $600). It's not the amount of power available that is the question in making a distro. It's getting control over that power. To make this correctly you need to have an appropriate over current device (aka breaker) properly installed for each 20A outlet. This is a pretty big legal liability and to do it right even the parts are going to cost you a few hundred bucks. Even if you did want to save the money and build it yourself then your are liable for anything that goes wrong with the distro, and the theatre company would probably be liable for letting you do it. Even in technically simple projects small mistakes often lead to burnt out plugs and that can very easily lead to fire. The best choice here is definitely to buy the right thing. It'll have a manufacture's warranty and more importantly a UL listing. It is more power than you sound like you need now, but it's an affordable way to be prepared for future expansion.

No matter what you choose to do, double check the breaker on that service. Ranges use that plug for standardization, but very few ranges use anywhere near that much power. The building SHOULD be wired and breakered for you to use all of the power that the outlet is rated for, but that is not necessarily a guarantee. Make sure that it's a 50A breaker, as far as the wiring it would take a professional to open up the cabinet and double check that the wire is of an appropriate gauge. This might be a high quality install and you don't have to worry about that. If not, maybe you can talk to an electrician and have them come take a peak for you. Inspecting the wiring shouldn't take very long, you could probably find an electrician to do it for a small ad in your program or even just free. Also if you know who did the install they might be able to tell you.

EDIT: It looks like a 40A breaker would work because that's all the Peavey unit is designed to draw. Not sure if they make those or not though.

It may sound like I'm blowing the complexity of this way out of the water. It's not a complex thing to do, but it does involve a whole ton of liability which is much worse for you and the theatre company.

As a side note I love that the first few safety warnings in the manual are:
1. Read these instructions.
2. Keep these instructions.
3. Heed all warnings.
4. Follow all instructions.

Last edited:

I think the important thing here is to point out that the reason that building you own distro is a not the best choice (and why the one you need that Derek found is listed at $600). It's not the amount of power available that is the question in making a distro. It's getting control over that power. To make this correctly you need to have an appropriate over current device (aka breaker) properly installed for each 20A outlet. This is a pretty big legal liability and to do it right even the parts are going to cost you a few hundred bucks. Even if you did want to save the money and build it yourself then your are liable for anything that goes wrong with the distro, and the theatre company would probably be liable for letting you do it. Even in technically simple projects small mistakes often lead to burnt out plugs and that can very easily lead to fire. The best choice here is definitely to buy the right thing. It'll have a manufacture's warranty and more importantly a UL listing. It is more power than you sound like you need now, but it's an affordable way to be prepared for future expansion.

No matter what you choose to do, double check the breaker on that service. Ranges use that plug for standardization, but very few ranges use anywhere near that much power. The building SHOULD be wired and breakered for you to use all of the power that the outlet is rated for, but that is not necessarily a guarantee. Make sure that it's a 50A breaker, as far as the wiring it would take a professional to open up the cabinet and double check that the wire is of an appropriate gauge. This might be a high quality install and you don't have to worry about that. If not, maybe you can talk to an electrician and have them come take a peak for you. Inspecting the wiring shouldn't take very long, you could probably find an electrician to do it for a small ad in your program or even just free. Also if you know who did the install they might be able to tell you.

EDIT: It looks like a 40A breaker would work because that's all the Peavey unit is designed to draw. Not sure if they make those or not though.

It may sound like I'm blowing the complexity of this way out of the water. It's not a complex thing to do, but it does involve a whole ton of liability which is much worse for you and the theatre company.

As a side note I love that the first few safety warnings in the manual are:
1. Read these instructions.
2. Keep these instructions.
3. Heed all warnings.
4. Follow all instructions.

No I completely agree, I was just hoping there would be some way to do it in house. The building was built 3 years ago, and it's next to our stage area so i'm 99% sure it's 50amp but I'll check with the wiring diagrams to make sure. The pevey can be found for 400 online so that's not too bad. I can't get an answer from anywhere on houw long the leash is, but I could always get an extension.

Anyway thanks guys

Don't forget Amp Shop for distros.
Sorry, I won't recommend a vendor who can't correctly spell the names of its manufacturers.
From AMP Shop - Pro Audio Service And Event Rentals Including Generators :
We sell TOP QUALITY Hubble, Leviton, Crouse Hinds and Pass-Seymore Connectors
Makes me wonder, "Is that the kind of care and attention to detail they put into their products?"

(For those keeping score, there are TWO misspellings in the quote.)

Well, that's too bad for you. Amp shop is a very well respected company and does excellent work for a good price. I didn't know companies had to be spelling bee winners in order to do quality work...

Well, that's too bad for you. Amp shop is a very well respected company and does excellent work for a good price. I didn't know companies had to be spelling bee winners in order to do quality work...

You forget this is the Internet, in order to be allowed on it you must have a PhD in English Language.

To be fair... it CAN be a symptom of quality control. In this case it sounds like the place has a good reputation, but if it had not been for you and other sharing your opinion I would probably have dismissed them off-hand. You don't need a PhD to run a company, but it helps if you at least have someone spellcheck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back