Raptors-Pacers game delayed by fire, fans evacuated

brucek

Fire in a passive speaker? Not something I have seen happen in years. I am assuming those are fire & rescue folks rappelling and not the house riggers.
Glad nothing really became of this

Speculation is an amplifier failed and 'went DC'. I'd think it would have been all that pass band on that circuit in the cluster, but the weakest link fails first, perhaps before the output protection circuit activates.

Speculation is an amplifier failed and 'went DC'. I'd think it would have been all that pass band on that circuit in the cluster, but the weakest link fails first, perhaps before the output protection circuit activates.
Dumping the DC rail into a voice coil would do it. It looks like one guy has to keep the other guy from swinging too much from the propulsion of the extinguisher. I'd say they came up with a good plan pretty quickly. How many sports venues have riggers on duty during a game?

I read some speculation on Twitter that it was pyro-related. But as a former pyrotechnician, I'm skeptical given the location of that line array. Plus this looks like every other voice coil fire I've seen videos of. You'd also expect a gray or white "skid mark" on the grill if it was hit by something externally.

More likely the paper cone for the driver caught fire. On r/livesound someone mentioned that JBL has previously had some service bulletins for certain speakers that the drivers needed their ferrofluid refilled because they could leak over time. If the ferrofluid all leaked out and/or someone was overdriving the speaker, it could've caused a heat build-up that ignited the cone.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, also possible the amplifier failed catastrophically and took the speaker out with it.

No confirmation that this speaker model was one of the models with a service bulletin published for it.

Also, to be clear, myself and others are guesstimating that those speakers are JBL based on the fuzzy pixelated logo badges. I cannot confirm that is the case, but if it is JBL it appears to be some older generation speaker listed somewhere in the dark rabbit hole of JBL's legacy products list. Doesn't look like any of their active product lines to my knowledge.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back