Ratchet Straps overhead

JimHaver

I just saw a photo of a corporate event with a bunch of truss in the sky.
Apparently, the points in the ceiling were in 2 lines, left to right.
They needed to fly 3 VERY LARGE projectors that wouldn't fall on those lines.
The crew rigged a line of truss along each line of points; so there were 2 parallel lines of truss 30' apart.
Then, they used ratchet straps to connect perpendicular sections of truss to the flown sections, and hung the projectors from these.

Ratchet straps?

I've seen a lot of different ratchet straps, with various types of hooks on the ends, but I've never considered using them for overhead work.

Thoughts?

Were the perpendicular trusses sitting on top of the hung truss, and the ratchet straps were just preventing them from sliding? Or were they holding the truss up. My response would be different based on which of this was the case.

So it makes more sense:
Truss 1 and Truss 2 are hung with motors from proper points.
Truss A, B & C were perpendicular to truss 1 & 2.
Truss A, B & C were connected to Truss 1 & 2 with ratchet straps.
Truss A, B, & C were hanging beneath Truss 1 & 2, supported ONLY by a pair of ratchet straps, 1 strap around Truss 1 and 1 strap around Truss 2.

My first impression was the picture should be titled "How NOT To Fly Truss".
But, first impressions, important as they are, can be incorrect.
I know I'd never do that in a million years, but I also know I don't know everything.

That's not something I would do. Sounds like someone might be too cheap for cheeseboroughs.

Now I do see ratchet straps holding on power distro equipment sometimes and that usually doesn't bother me.

So it makes more sense:
Truss 1 and Truss 2 are hung with motors from proper points.
Truss A, B & C were perpendicular to truss 1 & 2.
Truss A, B & C were connected to Truss 1 & 2 with ratchet straps.
Truss A, B, & C were hanging beneath Truss 1 & 2, supported ONLY by a pair of ratchet straps, 1 strap around Truss 1 and 1 strap around Truss 2.

My first impression was the picture should be titled "How NOT To Fly Truss".
But, first impressions, important as they are, can be incorrect.
I know I'd never do that in a million years, but I also know I don't know everything.

I am pretty sure I read that right. And in that case I would say never do that. Cheeseburgers would have been safest and even then with something like that, I would have tried to safety it off with a spanset or something.

I can't/won't comment on the rig in question without seeing some detail pics. There are "rated" ratchet straps, they do exist. All the major truss manufacturers have setups where ratchet straps are spec'd in various set-ups. The most common uses are for tensioning guys or strapping ballast, etc. Face it, the strap is often rated higher than your span-set. All that said, my knee jerk reaction is negative for any overhead suspending, lifting is out.

I would be interested in knowing who the company is that did the rigging and if pictures exist, I'd be very interested in those as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back