Ratcheting Focus Tool or fixed Focus tool?

So, I'm curious about other people's preferences in terms of using a focus tool with ratcheting or without ratcheting. Specifically I was curious about the Ultimate Focus Tool's ratcheting, but I'm curious regardless if you have an ultimate focus tool or some other ratcheting tool (i.e. speed wrench). I'm just looking into getting a new one and trying to decide which one I want.

Specifically, I'm concerned that the ratcheting function would become more of a bother than a convenience, always having to switch between right and left. I currently use the standard focus tool from stage junk, and I'm very happy with the speed that I'm able to do things (my current one is just getting worn down and slipping on some hardware), but I feel that that speed comes from never having to adjust anything on the wrench. And I'm afraid that the ratcheting function would slow down my speed, with having to always switch from tightening to loosening. But I also don't know how convenient or simple the ratchet switch may be. So thus I'm curious about others experiences with ratcheting tools vs. fixed tools. Do you find the ratcheting function to be more helpful or more of a hassle? What are your thoughts? Again, your experiences don't have to be with the Ultimate Focus Tool necessarily, just with any ratcheting or non ratcheting tool.

Thanks!

I commonly stick with my trusty adjustable c-wrench, however I do use the "mega combo wrench" (aka widget, etc) and just got the ultimate flat focus tool (and am loving it).

If you check out the thread Which Stage tool? - Poll, you'll find that MANY people seem to prefer the new flat focus tool, and others still love their adjustable wrench.

I've never gone for the ultimate tool, or ratcheting tools as I find they are way too pricy regardless of their cool features (like tester, etc). And I think that a skinny tool that can fit in places easier is much better. Not to mention I got the black 'tool-steel' version of the flat tool, which should last better than the aluminum tools.

You may also want to check this thread: Wrench Leash, lots of discussion on what people prefer as a leash for their tool of choice.

Anyways I personally carry a 6" adjustable, 8" adjustable and 12" adjustable, along with mega-handle and now flat tool, with me to most calls. I rarely touch the 12" but sometimes it's handy to have, and 6" wrenches tend to disappear the most.

I have two that I use.
1. the flat focus tool I use when I just need to hit one or two things quickly. Mostly because I am normally only making a quarter turn or so. Any time I have to run a bolt in and out I use #2.
2. Stage Junk ratcheting tool. I love this above any other tool I have. And I love the retching feature. The first 7 fixtures I hung the first time it was a bit slower, but once I got use to flipping it back and forth I never even think about it. Ever sense that first hang with the tool I have never gone back. once your hand gets use to what is drive and what is reverse it is much faster. You do have to learn it, but once you do you will never go back.

I mostly use my ratcheting Lightspeed wrench, but I almost always have an 8in Crescent wrench on me as well for jesus bolts and square head bolts that have gotten rounded a bit. The ratcheting wrench is especially handy when having to move sidearms that have units on them. It's quick to just switch direction and tighten the sidearm down so I don't have to hold the weight for so long.

Specifically, I'm concerned that the ratcheting function would become more of a bother than a convenience, always having to switch between right and left. I currently use the standard focus tool from stage junk, and I'm very happy with the speed that I'm able to do things (my current one is just getting worn down and slipping on some hardware), but I feel that that speed comes from never having to adjust anything on the wrench. And I'm afraid that the ratcheting function would slow down my speed, with having to always switch from tightening to loosening.

Two things (actually three). First, anytime you lose from switching a ratchet will be gained back a hundred times over if you are loading in or loading out a lot of fixtures (or anything else with the same bolts and directions consecutively). The ability to just rocket through a bolt, especially at a weird angle or high on a ladder, will prove far superior from having to remove and return your wrench to the fixture. Furthermore, if space is limited and you can only twist a few inches in either direction the ratchet becomes indispensable. So ratcheting is good IMHO.

Secondly, the UFT Ratcheting is made of steel, rather than the aluminum of the rest of their tools (minus the flat tool.) This should solve your wearing out problems, or at least limit them. The steel is a little bit heavier, but not to the point where I've found it problematic, and as long as you don't leave it out in the snow and lick it I don't think you'll regret purchasing a steel tool.

Third, decide if you really want to drop 120 dollars for an UFT. For half of that price, you could purchase a flat UFT and a Lightspeed wrench, and you would have the versatility of the UFT (minus pin splitter and continuity checker), and a ratcheting tool that fits most theatre bolts, and is beyond excellent for weird angles or tricky stuff. This is my strategy at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back