Ray From Bermuda

Most of us were against using a PC as a LightBoard, for various reasons, but if it works for you, great.

When someone finds it, let me know. I was thinking though, that size may matter. My primary venue has 48 dimmer channels for light fixtures. Our Christmas Venue has about 200 dimmer channels, with may be 60 or 100 actively used.

Perhaps control surfaces work better with larger build outs. Or vice versa. No personal experience in the larger worlds.

OnTheRock, check out this thread. (Dang, that's not exactly the thread I thought it was. Anyone want to post the link to the thread I'm thinking of?) Most of us were against using a PC as a LightBoard, for various reasons, but if it works for you, great. The toys are only tools, it's the light onstage that matters.
Derek, in that thread to which you refer, I think the biggest conclusion was that if your PC is dedicated to only running lights and nothing else then you should be fine. This means no internet, no games, no word processing, just lights.

You are correct, icewolf08. That was the general consensus of the thread.

My major point, and OnTheRock may be proving me wrong, was that Programming lights using a dedicated "control surface" is ALWAYS going to be faster than using a keyboard and mouse.I'm certainly open to more discussion on this, providing the discussion is apples to apples, and not Express to LightFactory. OnTheRock, I bet you'd like LightFactory even more if it had a touchscreen, correct? Hog3, Maxxyz, Vista, and grandMA all allow you to arrange groups/fixtures in a graphical manner onscreen, but are also all out of your price range, though PC-based solutions are available from most.

Last edited:
Don't give up on the Express... it's the number one selling console in history for a reason. Yeah the 72 is a huge board, and it's not the easiest board for intelligent gear, but for standard conventional lighting it's VERY hard to beat. In my opinion they made a wise choice when they purchased it. These days there are some excellent new options, but a few years ago, that was pretty much the best there was for community theater. As Derek said, someone who's got some experience programing on it can knock your socks off with the speed they can program. Not that I'm at all anti-pc based lighting... I'm a big fan of the Horizon software. But you've got a very powerful machine in your closet. You would be surprised what you can do with it given some time.

As for deleting a cue... first off you just record over the bad one. If you really need to delete it, yeah it takes a couple steps, but it's not that hard to learn ...and they buried that delete button for a good reason if you think about it.

Don't give up on the Express... it's the number one selling console in history for a reason. Yeah the 72 is a huge board, and it's not the easiest board for intelligent gear, but for standard conventional lighting it's VERY hard to beat. In my opinion they made a wise choice when they purchased it.

Thanx for the thumbs up. It is good to know. It worked well on the shows we used it for. The other LD's of the theatre have worked out many of its abilities.

On the other hand, I was getting tired of remember macros and numbers. I wanted something where I could name channels, groups, submasters, palettes, effects, and then look them up mnemonically as needed when I needed to put my puzzle pieces together into something resembling a properly cue'd show. (I'm a software programmer in my real job, among other things, so am more amenable to well labelled 'objects', and can type well enough to bring it off when describing lighting channels, submasters, shortcuts, and groups). To each his own, I suppose.

I think we have good value for the software. It is under continuous development. It may not match Hog, et al, but as you say, it works for our budget.

The way the screens in the software are layed out, you can run it with touch screens. Maybe not all the programming, but in scene setting, the touch screens with submasters and shortcuts would work admirably. And as it accepts DMX in, regular control surfaces can supply the equivalent of 1000 submasters.

It might be interesting to meet at a conference sometime, and do a programming bake-off with various control surfaces and software. Obviously, it would be a talent*time comparison, but that just adds more competition to finding the shortcuts and conveying the tricks of the trade.

Last edited:
My major point, and OnTheRock may be proving me wrong, was that Programming lights using a dedicated "control surface" is ALWAYS going to be faster than using a keyboard and mouse.I'm certainly open to more discussion on this, providing the discussion is apples to apples, and not Express to LightFactory.

Another thing I like about this configuration, is that I can spool my DMX cable down to the stage, along with my laptop, and with the director, crew boss, electrician, and SM present, ask the players whether they can find their light, or whether I should move it. And then program things right then and there. And when done, walk up to the ControlBooth and get the bird's eye again.

Back ups, back ups, back ups when doing this type of portable scenario.

I have a nice laptop with a 1900 x 1200 screen, so I can fit lots of stuff onto the screen without using a side monitor, which I could do if I want, and then have that as the touch screen input with the shortcut lists and submasters. Or use the Enttec Playback, which maps 100 sliders onto 10 with a page up/down key, which is synced with labelled on-laptop legends.

And no, I don't work for LightFactory, but am just opening this up for discussion to see what similar things there are in low, mid, and high range packages. And to find out what I'm really missing out on in the 'real world'.

A lot of the things you are talking about are now standard products on the newest consoles from both ETC and Strand. As well as the moving consoles mentioned earlier (GrandMA etc..). The Express is the left over king of the last generation of consoles that isn't going away any time soon. In the last 3 years a new generation of consoles has been released. The newer consoles like to keyboards, mice, and touch screens and have many flexible abilities to do lots of regrouping and renaming like you mentioned.

Horizon has been one of the best computer based lighting programs available for a while. All the new consoles from Strand are now based on Horizon software. So many of the traditional computer based lighting software features you are describing are now at the core of the software of a very traditional looking console (and you can plug in a laptop to use as a design remote too). ETC's new generation of consoles seem to be more influenced by the high end moving light console market. However the end result is similar, they have a lot more flexibility but it's a different feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back