RCA video to VGA conversion solution needed

NolaTek

Trying to find out a cheap way to convert single RCA video signal (not composite) into a VGA signal. I'm looking for a low profile device that will take an RCA input and spit out a stable VGA signal. Any thoughts on the subject would help.

Trying to find out a cheap way to convert single RCA video signal (not composite) into a VGA signal. I'm looking for a low profile device that will take an RCA input and spit out a stable VGA signal. Any thoughts on the subject would help.
A video output on an RCA would be composite video, did you maybe mean that it is not component (three wire) video?

There are many devices to convert composite video into 'VGA', however what 'VGA' actually is, which is probably referencing a HD15 connector rather than 640x480 resolution and 16 colors, and the quality of that conversion can range significantly. Do you have any specific goals in terms of output resolution or budget? Also, what are you looking for as far as it being 'low profile', are you looking for a small standalone box or a rack mount unit or what?

If its not composite then what is it? Unlike with what we work with mostly in audio its not just a connector but a format, while RCA is more analog, VGA is more digital than analog.

Devices that take composite video, S-Video or component video and convert it to VGA or RGBHV are typically called scalers. These can be standalone devices but are also integrated into LCD, DLP and plasma displays that have composite video, S-Video or component video inputs. However, not all scalers are equal or appropriate for every application. The quality of conversion is one subjective factor and can vary greatly. What might be some other factors?

Scalers Price isn't always reflective of quality

In the past I have paid thousands for Extron scalers and thought that they look as good as a cheaper Kramer piece. It depends o the situation and length of run to the projector/monitor. In the past I have scan converted down VGA so that I could use a basic video switcher along with live cameras, DVDs, etc and run a 200' composite video cable to my projector. Mainly because I didn't have a seamless VGA switcher. However, here is another piece worth considering for composite to VGA scaling.

Markertek

Re: Scalers Price isn't always reflective of quality

Personally, I would never use one of the cheap 'off brand' scalers or scan converters without being able to see how well it works first. I've seen some that worked surprisingly well and others that produced an image that I have trouble understanding how anyone could find it acceptable. If you go that route, try getting it from some place where you can return it for a full refund if you're not happy with it.

I agree with Brad

$100 scalers from Markertek are not eh way to go unless you have very few options. Markertek does have a 100%satisfaction guarantee, but who knows what that really means: re-stocking fee, shipping both ways, in-store credit...

Re: I agree with Brad

I use one to take a composite camera signal from our balcony and feed it through an exsisting HDM15 VGA wire already run to strage for presentations. IT's called Grand Video Console, it's about 4"x2" x 1" i think think it was under 150$ It can also accept S-video and regular VGA HDM15 in as well. Fairly simple low end little device that works fine as a stage video feed for those backstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back