Re: Adhesives

Jackalope

Not sure if this is the place for this... I noticed on thistothat (a great resource btw) that they recommmend 3M 77 for foam to foam. 3M also makes a 78 formula which is designed specifically for foam and I have been using it successfully for over a year. Some of the molding pieces we've assembled are still in one piece a year later.

Best foam andhesive out there is 3M's 30NF green glue. Apply it to your foam and what you want it to stick to, let both get tacky... thats all there is to it. It dries strong. At my summer home we buy the stuff 5 gallons at a time. Its pretty killer.

I have been using 3M adhesives for over 20 years. Spray 77 is only for a temporary bond. You can make the bond last longer by gluing both sides heavily but it will likely dryout eventually and loose its grip. Spray 78 works well as a permanent on rigid foams and many other materials. Spray 74 works well on foam rubber. 30nf is a great water based fast tack contact adhesive but you have to brush it , roll it or use a spray gun which you will have to clean up.

Last edited:
the 30nf appeals to me as it would sometimes be nice to move away from aerosols when working in bulk as it were. Can you cut through the 30nf with a hot knife? does it leave any kind of a ridge once it does? and is it as permanent as 78?

the 30nf appeals to me as it would sometimes be nice to move away from aerosols when working in bulk as it were. Can you cut through the 30nf with a hot knife? does it leave any kind of a ridge once it does? and is it as permanent as 78?

I have never seen a hot knife used with it, not saying you can't though. It carves just fine. As far as the permanency... we have stuff out on the road with it and it comes back in one piece time after time. This was constructed using green glue.

I have never seen a hot knife used with it, not saying you can't though. It carves just fine. As far as the permanency... we have stuff out on the road with it and it comes back in one piece time after time. This was constructed using green glue.
That looks awesome! I especially appreciate the work curving the square tubing. Its one thing to bend square tubing, quite another I imagine to make the sweeps match top and bottom. I think working in your shop must be a blast.
Do you remember off hand what the expoxy was that you used to cover the foam? Ironically I am looking at building some climbable tree(s) for Midsummer's Night this spring.
BTW your tree reminded me of some research I came across in prep for Midsummer.
A Midsummer Night's Dream

That looks awesome! I especially appreciate the work curving the square tubing. Its one thing to bend square tubing, quite another I imagine to make the sweeps match top and bottom. I think working in your shop must be a blast.
Do you remember off hand what the expoxy was that you used to cover the foam? Ironically I am looking at building some climbable tree(s) for Midsummer's Night this spring.
BTW your tree reminded me of some research I came across in prep for Midsummer.
A Midsummer Night's Dream

307 FR-LITE - POLYGEM, Inc.

The stuff dries rock hard. Its meant to be beaten on by apes.

3M's 30NF green glue has worked great for me. Another product that has worked well for me and is much cheaper is PL foam adhesive, it comes in a caulk tube and can be found at home depot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back