Realistic sky on cyc

Help, We are looking for a way to create a realistic sky with clouds on our cyc. Have looked into Imagepros, direct projection with Selecon Pacifics, glass gobos, greytone gobos, but don't know which really work and what the problems will be. Anyone done this, have answers? Thanks

I have used the image pro in a selecon pacific before and really dont reccomend it.
its a pain, your image is completely round, and its a pain to try and fix. there is more that angers me about it, but thats the one thats in my head right now. :?
i would say go with glass gobos. depending on how big your cyc is, get 2 and merge them together in the middle.
i have done this before and loved the results.
but ditch the image pro idea, that thing is only good for a few things.
my school bought 5 of them and we ended up using it once, hating it and returned a few.
BUT, thats just my opinion.
happy gobo hunting.

Peter said:
I would probably use a computer hooked up to a projector, but you have to have to make sure that will be bright enough and you have a good angle to throw it from (as well as know how to ajust the settings to bring the image back to the right shape if you are shooting it from a weird angle).

The problems with the projector is they always have some level of ambiant light, even with 'black-out' on.

For a few of the shows I have done, were we could not fly out the projector, we would make a shutter assembly for the projector.

Reality is so over rated for the stage unless you are having light board problems. Than it's useful to explain why the night scene went dark..... big cloud flew in front of the otherwise full moon - reality.

"We use gam cloud anime disc fits in a source four. We rent them from ILC." We use them also but don't rent them unless we need more, than again they probably rent some of ours at times also. I would think lots of the larger rental companies have the EFX rotators that fit into specially configured S-4 fixtures. I wonder if those fixtures ever got upgraded or if the rotator could take the 750w lamp???
Such rotators are nice unless the motor dies out or is used at too slow a speed, at that point it's a expensive fried rotator disk. Other styles of disk are also available. Be really careful in using these units however because that rotator disk will burn up very easily and if renting it, it's replacement cost won't be at all cheap. Side note, also don't drop it because as said, that disk ain't cheap. In my impression of testing such things, that motor speed could not be safely slowed down enough to be of much use on a stage unless presenting a storm before you risked burning it up.

Given a S-4 fixture this system is built around, the largest beam spread you could have for the projector is a 50 degree beam spread. This would necessitate a more or less specific placement of the fixture mounting without people getting in the way of your projection.

For a live stage setting, such a moving sky might not even given the EFX wheel moves slow enough for you, be able to be at a sufficient angle to mount it.

Given the Solecon fixture will take the ?Image Pro (?and it's similar to the EFX?), than a 90 degree fixture might be optimum for a cyc and will have been my choice given you can get a bright enough lamp in it for the beam spread.

Otherwise given the presented problems a glass gobo pattern especially a A/B or ABC set of them that are a set designed to link together by way of a few fixtures meshing them together in having the grey scale avaialble by way of glass painting, above what a metal black/white gobo would have would be my choice.

Projectors and computer based systems can also do it but probably would not be cost effective. You might be able to rent these patterns from a theater supply as a possibility I have never looked into. If they are in stock, they might be rental and cheaper than other solutions especially if your clouds don't have to move. This I think is the primary difference between the EFX and a glass gobo.

A moving light can also do this but might also be more complex than the situation might find useful.

Another solution might be to use a few pattern projecting Lekos with three sets of normal cloud patterns in them but in them having say three channels of control over them and three or none gel on them in cross fading and blending the color/gel verses none on the cyc to make a sort of movement to the look.

Using a cyc takes careful placement of the placement of light on stage, or ambient and spill levels just as any projection. To some extent, a scrim in front of the cyc can also help or hinder this to advantage or disadvantage.

Given a cyc, a computer based projector might have some advantage in doing a "scene machine" effect on the cyc however in that it might be able to adjust the image angle for the almost perpendicular to throw angle of a side projection. As opposed to other scene machines if placed in the wings in having a more fantasy look to the image, a computer could more easily correct for the angle and perhaps the cyc could be lit from behind a scrim or at a steep angle. Just a thought on theory of using a computer based projector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back