Really odd question for lighting? best car audio head unit for DMX control?

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by Ravenbar, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Ravenbar

Ravenbar Active Member

Every year I participate in my Jeep clubs annual Christmas run. If felt like Im under-preforming in the past.

As a way of stepping up my game, and also addressing a failing stock head unit in my Jeep WJ, I'm looking to control RGB LED strips via the head unit. Ive got USB-DMX controllers, and also DMX RGB strip light controllers(12v).

My initial thought is to use a Raspberry Pi(Ive got a couple model 2bs available). Planning on using Q light controller to provide the DMX control.

Is there another option I should be looking at? Not looking to spend a lot of money.

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. SteveB

SteveB Well-Known Member

I’ve no recommendations but have to admit it’s a great idea.

Once you figure it out, maybe there’s a startup company in the works ?, seems like there’s a market out there, sort of like the hi-tech home systems for Christmas lighting.

macsound and RonHebbard like this.
  3. Chris Pflieger

Chris Pflieger Well-Known Member

Will the Pi do both sounds and lights?

Sounds like you're on the right path with the equipment you've got.

The other path for me Arduinos and RS-485 shields.

RonHebbard likes this.
  4. Ravenbar

Ravenbar Active Member

Primary job for it will be my daily music, in an attempt to clear clutter off my dash. Been using an Bluetooth speaker attached to my phone as the stereo doesn't have any way to input from the phone. Lighting control will just be once a year for the Christmas run.

5. Mac Hosehead

Mac Hosehead Well-Known Member

If you wish to sequence light changes to the music, there is the Falcon Player which runs on Pi's.
    https://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?board=8.0
    It is designed to playback preprogramed files from sequencing software. It is free and the sequencing software is free. It would take some time to learn.

6. LLDeen

LLDeen Member

Assistant TD, Lead LD
    Are you looking to just control your RGB strips or are you wanting to sequence them to the music?

There are some really good automotive RGB bluetooth controllers that you can use with your phone. You won't be able to do a spectacularly crazy light show, but you can control color, etc. I have a plethora of RGB lights on my truck that I have all connected into a bluetooth controller that I use for car shows. I primarily use them all as one static color, but they can fade, strobe, etc. The controller I use also has 3 "zones" so you can set different colors for each zone. The app has a color wheel and some prebuilt color pallets to fade through. Wiring is easy to be able to hook up RGB lights of any sort, not just strips. The device can also handle a lot of lights. I have a lot of prebuilt automotive RGB lighting and standard RGB strips that I've wired up myself. It's a good option and not too expensive.
    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-xbt-bluetooth-rgb-controller.html

macsound likes this.
  7. Ravenbar

Ravenbar Active Member

Plan is only to control the lights. Thinking of using Q Light Controller, as that's what I use on my other computers to control the USB-DMX converter.