The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Really odd question for lighting? best car audio head unit for DMX control?

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by Ravenbar, Jun 13, 2019 at 8:11 PM.

1. Ravenbar

Ravenbar Active Member

Every year I participate in my Jeep clubs annual Christmas run. If felt like Im under-preforming in the past.

As a way of stepping up my game, and also addressing a failing stock head unit in my Jeep WJ, I'm looking to control RGB LED strips via the head unit. Ive got USB-DMX controllers, and also DMX RGB strip light controllers(12v).

My initial thought is to use a Raspberry Pi(Ive got a couple model 2bs available). Planning on using Q light controller to provide the DMX control.

Is there another option I should be looking at? Not looking to spend a lot of money.

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. SteveB

SteveB Well-Known Member

I’ve no recommendations but have to admit it’s a great idea.

Once you figure it out, maybe there’s a startup company in the works ?, seems like there’s a market out there, sort of like the hi-tech home systems for Christmas lighting.

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. Chris Pflieger

Chris Pflieger Well-Known Member

Will the Pi do both sounds and lights?

Sounds like you're on the right path with the equipment you've got.

The other path for me Arduinos and RS-485 shields.

RonHebbard likes this.
  4. Ravenbar

Ravenbar Active Member

Primary job for it will be my daily music, in an attempt to clear clutter off my dash. Been using an Bluetooth speaker attached to my phone as the stereo doesn't have any way to input from the phone. Lighting control will just be once a year for the Christmas run.

RonHebbard likes this.
  5. Mac Hosehead

Mac Hosehead Well-Known Member

If you wish to sequence light changes to the music, there is the Falcon Player which runs on Pi's.
    https://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?board=8.0
    It is designed to playback preprogramed files from sequencing software. It is free and the sequencing software is free. It would take some time to learn.

RonHebbard likes this.