Rear projection on painted surface

Jon Majors

Is it possible to use rear projection to project onto a surface that is textured painted on the front? For instance, I want to redesign this set for The Diary of Anne Frank. I'd love to use rear projection on the circled areas for when we hear Anne's voiceovers. The projector will be the text from the diary that is being spoken. Basically, I'm wondering if I can have a painted/textured wall double as a projection surface.
Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 2.42.03 PM.png

Yeah, I've done a few painted projection surfaces. Both RP and front.
The big thing is making sure that the structure is properly framed to be strong enough while making the area where the RP surface is clear of supports.
Really you'll want to experiment with the "recipe" for your projection surface.

The first time I did this was back in college. We played around with a number of materials that were within budget (and a number of materials we have today were not yet available) and ended up using washed Tyvek (found a supplier to get plain unmarked large rolls) and then applied thinned scenic paint to the front. Looked great.

Mind you that changing the surface with paint you will loose some intensity of the projection among other considerations.

Not sure if you have any experience with fabric covered flats, but stretching whatever material you go with will be another key consideration.

The issue being how thick the paint is. It will be what blocks the light. What I have seen as the best solution is it is machine printed, which allows a thin and even coating.
I agree that your best results will come with experimentation.

The issue being how thick the paint is. It will be what blocks the light. What I have seen as the best solution is it is machine printed, which allows a thin and even coating.
I agree that your best results will come with experimentation.
Yeah, you REALLLY want to do each paint application "in one", no going back over or touching up as that will make that area "thicker". The specific treatment we had used in the above mentioned application somewhat fades from my memory but I believe it was simply applied with a hudson sprayer in a few different layers.
Experienced painters will know the deal from any back-lit drops.

There are a number of materials you can try of course ranging from muslin to whatever. Everything will take the light from the front and from the back differently, and give you a different resulting look. I wouldn't use RP screen material as that would be an expensive waste.

Do-Up a few different option samples and shine them from the back with a projector and with whatever conditions you expect from the front, be that direct or ambient lighting. Use whichever performs best, and the paint/dye treatment you give it will have a different kind of effect depending on the material itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back