Rear Projection - Scrim

Robert F Jarvis

We want to rear project onto a scrim. The images will be homogonous colors, and we will not be crossfading thorough scrim at all.
We have two scrims, a white one and a black one. From what I have read so far it would seem the white one is favored. Any advances on this please?

Hi Robert,
I am assuming that you have sharkstooth scrims.
I can't figure out what effect you are trying to achieve. You will be able to clearly see the source of any light through the scrim. The scrim is not a good surface on which to rear project.
Rear projection onto a scrim is best achieved with a filled leno scrim. This is a very different surface to a typical sharkstooth.
If you think about lighting a cyc with a black sharkstooth scrim DS of the cyc lights and the cyc, the scrim isn't a reflective surface. You see the cyc through the weave of the scrim. If you project onto the rear of the scrim, the US side will be the reflective surface, and the light will pass through the weave to illuminate a reflective surface DS of the scrim.
I could well be off base because I can't imagine what you are trying to do, so if I have just told you everything that you know, please forgive me.
Let us know what effect you are trying to achieve and maybe we can provide some better advise.
Take care,
John

^What he said.^ You'll never be happy with the results. Just don't do it.

Hi Robert,
I am assuming that you have sharkstooth scrims.
I can't figure out what effect you are trying to achieve. You will be able to clearly see the source of any light through the scrim. The scrim is not a good surface on which to rear project.
Rear projection onto a scrim is best achieved with a filled leno scrim. This is a very different surface to a typical sharkstooth.
If you think about lighting a cyc with a black sharkstooth scrim DS of the cyc lights and the cyc, the scrim isn't a reflective surface. You see the cyc through the weave of the scrim. If you project onto the rear of the scrim, the US side will be the reflective surface, and the light will pass through the weave to illuminate a reflective surface DS of the scrim.
I could well be off base because I can't imagine what you are trying to do, so if I have just told you everything that you know, please forgive me.
Let us know what effect you are trying to achieve and maybe we can provide some better advise.
Take care,
John
Not sure until they bring the scrim down what exactly the material is. For projections we will use a DLP cyc projector. But this time above and to rear of scrim. Director wants to project plain colors, mainly deep blue. I reckon old cyc lights or our LED Cannons (offset to side of scrim to light it obliquely) would be better. We will try both.
Thank you for a lot of interesting stuff there. I'm going to put some in my bench notes. for future reference.

If you are after single color statements on the scrim, seems like projections are more complicated than is necessary. Just my opinion.

Also my ow opinion as stated. Especially as we have some large "Cannons" that can be used from the side to give much stronger color. Oh well. I'm going in tonight and we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back