Reason to always use a safety cable

Why would anyone lay down like that and further why would they be taping it? I think the whole thing was staged.

Why would anyone lay down like that and further why would they be taping it? I think the whole thing was staged.

I totally agree with len. That totally has to be staged or edited. Of course this does not mean that it is OK not to safety your fixtures.

The, blurry, poor-quality video shows a man mounting a 6"Fresnel-sized light vertically from a stirrup upright on a jib arm about five feet off the ground. Once he lets go of the light, he lays down on the ground beneath it, and it pivots downward and falls off the spud onto his chest.

No doubt faked, and not even funny. Not nearly as good as this one, (fake also).

That one of the news reporter happens way too quickly
Sorry to have to be the one to break this to you, midgetgreen11, but acceleration due to gravity is a constant, ~32 ft/sec^2.

Fake?? You mean that when lighting a TV studio set, a spun aluminum PAR isn't the first instrument you'd reach for?? :p

Last edited:
I'm stealing the video of this news reporter and showing it to my light crew. I had to go back today and tighten and make sure safety cables were propers... safety-ed before a show today. And some of them weren't. I'm glad I though to look earlier though...

Sorry to have to be the one to break this to you, midgetgreen11, but acceleration due to gravity is a constant, ~32 ft/sec^2.

Until it hits terminal velocity.

A free falling object achieves its terminal velocity when the downward force of gravity (Fg)equals the upward force of drag (Fd). This causes the net force on the object to be zero, resulting in an acceleration of zero.

Anyway, why would someone lie down under a light? It doesn't make sense. I also think it's odd they cut the video right before it hits the guy. (Or just as it hits the guy.

Why wouldn't you put a safety cable on any instrument?

In my field, even if the client demands that nothing is seen, we try to hide the SCs as much as possible, but sometimes you just can't. Then I usually end up having to explain at least 3 times the necessity of a safety cable for anything.

Maybe I'll just put that video on my phone to just show them now. :)

In the blessed name of Olivia Munn, and all that is holy on Attack of the Show, I am calling it:

SHENANIGANS!!!

I wonder how strong are these safety cables?

One of my local art school in Singapore, the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts were paranoid enough to use heavy-duty chains and padlocks to secure their ETC fixtures.

Re: Reason to always use a safety cable/probable hijack.

Is she still on that show?

And was with the old host, that eloped with one of the other correspondents?

I have a feeling Olivia isn't as connected with the culture she's working in as the old one is.

I don't care how connected she is or isn't. It's not like I turn up the volume when she's on tv.

The Force is with her, she's the first person I ever heard call 'shenanigans' and that's all that matters.

I wonder how strong are these safety cables?

One of my local art school in Singapore, the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts were paranoid enough to use heavy-duty chains and padlocks to secure their ETC fixtures.

Here's a little something I found after a quick Google search.

Chauvet CH05 Safety Cable
Lighting Safety Cable.
• Holds up to 700lbs.
• Size: 31in
• Shipping Weight: .1lbs

The heaviest fixtures in my inventory are my Mac 2K's which the manual lists as weighing 103 lbs.
An ETC Source 4 weighs about 15 lbs.

Last edited:
I've also heard that most standard wire-rope safety cables will hold about 700 pounds. Keep in mind that a Source Four will weigh more than 15lbs if it is falling (shock load) which is the idea behind the 5x safety rule. That mac 2k comes fairly close to the rating of the safety cable using this rule, which is why they are made with so much "overkill".

The chain and padlock idea sounds paranoid to me. What was the shock load rating on said padlock, anyway? Maybe it was a way to deter theft of the fixture?

Disclaimer: I believe the rated load capacity is 5x actual load. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back