REC Video/Sound Jacks from XLR Cable

First, a bit of decorum is necessary when writing in public. Swearing in general is not acceptable anywhere and distracts from instead of adding to the point you are making. When in public you are not back on the block in impressing the boys with your manliness in using such terms. Nor does it help to mock those you find when you need something from them they just might be able to help you with.

Grow up. What are you trying to shock me? I was a active duty Marine NCO in using such terms when you were probably still wetting the bed. That is given your total lack of tact does not imply you have not reached beyond that level yet and are instead trying to mask that. Second, while we don't really harp on spelling skills, your adult language necessitates a certain amount of typing skills in general if your intent is to impress us with your fourth grade reading level skills in language.

Looking for a counterbalanced low voltage desk lamp? I assume you were just doing a web search and found this theater based website where I in taking a off shoot of to raise some interior design questions about my own household lighting distraction. As a part of this, we studied thus that a DMX/Microphone cable given a certain amount of quality can run video/sound by way of RCA plug mounted on it to a video monitor slaved off a VCR. In addition to other lighting concepts I’m using that make me now have a forest projected up at my ceiling. Sorry if your intent is a desk lamp, hmm, don’t even think I own one, no need for one given much better lighting. What the Fu** is this website about, if you don't understand theater tech people’s websites you are doomed to be the barbarian you sound like. Theater people are very creative and very resourceful, might check into your local school theater and work on a show in learning a bit about us before you attempt to mock. What’s this a dry brush technique on the walls? People pay good money for painters that can do this and similar techniques as well as other skills common to theater people. I work for a multi-million dollar lighting company and besides buying a minimum of $1,000.00 a day in lamps in being an expert at them professionally, I also deal with normal type equipment you would seek out as a very resourceful person in finding such gear. I have as many direct accounts with fixture and lighting suppliers as your local lighting showroom, and more experience than a Home Depot sales person in specifying such gear.

Should you wish to apologize to the forum for your post, I might consider giving you a source or two for such a lighting fixture once you describe what you want both specifically and artistically for all of us, than as an expert even be able to match your exact illumination needs to your intent after the fixture - given you are able to understand such things as differences between color temperatures and Lumens verses Lux and Candlepower verses Candlabrella. But such help requires you to be able to express your needs as an adult. No doubt you are either going to swear more, or not write back. Too bad, another lost cause. Good luck to you and your lighting needs. Sorry if you stumbled upon a website you did not understand. Had you read the posting line and been able to understand it, you might have learned a bit, but I guess that’s too much to expect.

Two points:

1. Well said Ship - if not interested or do not understand, go and learn or just leave. No need to post for the sake of posting.

2. As this is a topic that I had not picked up on before, I decided to read it from the start and found it quite interesting. I also found it quite disturbing that Ship probably has a larger lighting inventory in his home that I do in my company but that is another story. As such, I am wondering if Ship has any pictures to post or pm to those interested in seeing the creative fruits of his labour.

I definately believe in lighting designers bringing their work home with them. (you should see my closets and attic!) Full of old fresnels and 360-Q's. Some day I hope to put these to good use. Right now I have a fleet of Source Fours I'm working on a design for. (eight to be exact). So here's my idea. It basically revolves around a dome in the ceiling of a large formal living room. The dome would be approximately 8' in diameter and 2 feet deep. The dome would also have a rim around it, allowing me to place RGB ropelight inside it, and allowing the colors to accent the inside of the dome, without anyone being able to actually see the ropelights. They will light the inside edges of the dome, and the color will become less intense towards the center of the dome. (theoretically). There would be a lip on the inside rim of this dome to facilitate these ropelights. There would also be a 'ring' on the ceiling that encircles the dome. This is about 15' in diameter and is 2' wide x 2' deep. The inside will be painted black and outfitted with the proper electrical recepticals to connect to dimmers. Also in place will be a good ventilation system. Recessed in this ring will be 1.5" OD black pipe that will hang eight source fours with gobos and gels. The lights will be focused towards the center of the room; towards the dome. The barrels of these lights will be barely below the ceiling line, so the lenses will be visible. Scattered amongst this lighting and architectural chaos would be 6" recessed cans for 'normal' lighting conditions. Probably with narrow lamps so the beams will be somewhat defined. The ceiling would have to be atleast 12-15' high. The ropelights would be on some sort of a program that would slowly fade between R,G,and B. Anyway, this is just a dream... sound like a good design?

Sounds fun but I wonder how well the Lekos projecting patterns would do given the chosen target is almost parallel to them and recessed out of line of sight from the hanging position for them. Unistrut might also be easier to install. For a perminant install, I might also go with glass color filters and patterns, in addition to purchasing G-12 based CDM lamped metal hallide fixtures. Much longer in life and more energy efficient. a 150w 942 lamp with a color temp of 4.2K will put out a beam similar in look to somewhere between 575 and 750w in appearance.

Given the budget for the room, such fixtures would not add too much to the cost. Also at that point you could go with the mini Leko style which would be much smaller. I see your dome lighting idea, sounds good. On the ceiling cans, you might also look into louver baffles for them to further refine and direct the beam while also masking it. I would also go with a color correcting lamp in the fixture.

What's the pattern you intend to project? Sounds good and fun. P.S., when you find a good use for Fresnels at home, let me know. Unfortunately unlike Leko fixtures where you can go 375 or 400w, there is no lamps for them on the market anymore that are not low voltage or very short life under 500w. There are some low voltage lamps that would work, but their life is very short also.

yeah, I hear ya ship. As far as the gobos go, I would probably go with some fun multi-colored glass ones. Probably no particular image, just something abstract. Good for parties. The room could also serve as a really nice media room or something. I don't know, the room design would probably revolve around the eight lekos I have. I also own six of the older 360Q's. I'm guessing they are from the early 90's being that they are black, but still have metal knobs, and the older reflector and lamp bases. I do believe they have the improved lenses in them. Actually only four really work. They could all use new lamp bases, upgraded reflectors, and shutters; but thay were aslo free, so I'm not complaining. And one needs new lenses. ine is cracked in half and the other is chipped. I have no idea what I will do with those six 6" fresnels. They are the old brown Altman 65Q. They seem to be in good working order other than the fact that I removed the teflons to use with some My 6'strips that I was re-wiring to 4-circuit. I did see a lamp that was something like 250 watts, but the life was estimated at 25 hours... Now whats that all about?!?

25 hours and up to 50 hours is the best you can get. There is other uses for that type of lamp between photo shoot and projector. Used to be there was lamps going down to 100 Watts with decent life but those and up from there are long gone. Could be possible to re-lamp the fixtures with a lamp using a different lamp base. Such fixtures given the platform for the lamp base is in the open should be easy enough to retrofit. I might look into a GY 6.35 type lamp were I doing it. Still the question is what for.

My own collection of 65Q types is very wide ranging. Think I have one olive drab, four black, one Kliegl that started life as a RSC 2.3/8" bad experiment by that company in lighting technology using that new style of halogen lamp which I converted to a 65Q inside instead, a 1KAF series Fresnel and a Century version of it.

I might be worried about using the Fresnel cord on a strip light. Normally a strip is using 12 ga wire and a Fresnel is 16ga. Something to look at should you visit old projects - not that I don't have a few of my own little mistakes. Think I used 12ga THHN wire inside five of them once.

Should be an interesting party room and design. Largest problem will become once the reserve stock in storage for your shows gets installed, you will need them again and have to debate stripping your room verses doing without them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back