Recommations School Control Setup

Steve Butcher

Hi all! I've been beating my brains for a couple weeks reading through forums and product pages trying to decide on a console/software combination, but I just can't determine what might be best for our needs. We currently run an older console-only system that doesn't support enough channels to control our older dimmer packs as well as our newer LED light bars and the couple moving heads we have.

I would love a software-based module, but also like the touch of a panel. We've been looking at Elation Emulation with the MIDICON because it seems like an affordable option. However, I don't know if this is ideal for a school theater setting or not. We've also considered the ETC Nomad, which sounds like a great option. But, their control boards are out of our price range. I didn't know if the MIDICON would be compatible with other software options like the Nomad, or if they use different protocols.

Any thoughts on these or recommendations for other setups that would be affordable, yet good for a school setting, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for the assistance!

Biased plug direct from manufacturer here.
If you buy any of our gateways such as this one (MSRP $605) you can then operate this OS or graduate to a 'proper' (non-PC based hardware console) like this. These systems were designed to be operated by individuals that DON'T do lighting 40 hours a week.
There are many options on the market and some off-line-editors will give you one universe of control if you use the right sort of gateway. Look for control systems that can intelligently deal with RGB vs. RGBA vs. RGBW and know something about CCT. As you 'LED-afy' you'll need something to aid you in mixing tungsten and solid state lighting. Without an intelligent control system, the results can be a little disappointing.
Best of luck on your search.

I will second Pathway. Elation is OK, but the support isn't nearly as good as Pathway, unfortunately. A good portion of the demos that I have had to do, the sellers are always toting around a Cognito and I can jump right in and mess around with it no problem.

Thank you both for your replies! The Pathway stuff looks great! I haven't seen that before. However, that is a bit out of our budget at this time. Maybe we'd be better to hold off until our budget expands slightly. Thanks again.

Then the next question is the obvious one.

What is you budget?

and

How many Channels are you looking to get?

Well there is nothing wrong with going old school ETC EXPRESSION 3.

I Have one and its a work horse. A lot of other people will say it isn't worth the price tag but in my opinion it is. Take the rest of the money and buy a PC/MAC and next year get some Show Control Software and you will be set for a while.

Awesome! That looks like a great board. One more clarification: When you say Show Control Software, are you referring generically, or specifically to Medialon stuff? Is that compatible with the Expression 3?

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

With the example of QLC+, I believe compatible would mean running the computer into the DMX IN on the expression 3, and enabling the appropriate options.

Qlab, Venue Magic, Cue Play, and a ton of others are show control software. You can set your cues on the board and essentially run everything from a computer/laptop at the touch of a button Lights/Sound/Video. Basically gives you room to expand further next year if you get another 2500$ to spend.

I would try and wait if possible till you can afford an ETC product. Element optimally, rather than colorsource. Pathway is great (customer support and products, nodes especially), but at a school, there is definitely a benefit to teaching students an industry standard product.

My wife's the drama teacher at a small school faced with a similar problem. And they have mostly LED's and the affordable control options aren't great. They're mostly crappy DJ boards.

ETC recently came out with a ColorSource line of consoles that gives you more grown up control for small rigs. They only make it in 20 and 40 channel versions, so the earlier question about the number of channels certainly plays into your logic. But it's right at your price point in the 40 channel version. The 20 channel version is around $1600. I was skeptical about the price since I'm used to Ion/Eos consoles, but it worked out great for our application.

ETC has some videos on their site that explain it in a little more detail: https://www.etcconnect.com/Products/Lighting-Fixtures/ColorSource/Consoles.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back