Recommend a Blacklight fixture

Dustincoc

I'm just getting into the beginning stages of this years show("Seussical") at the local HS. Haven't got my hands on the script yet or anything. The director's seen some video's online of blacklight effects being used for one part(swimming fish) and would like to do something similar.

The only time I've been around blacklight on stage was a production of the Scottish play my freshman year of college, 10 years ago and they had rented an ancient thing that didn't achieve the effect all that well.

Looking for the most bang for the buck and not spend a fortune(don't know their budget yet but it's never a lot) as their planning on renting the fixture(s). The stage is about 50ft wide and probably 20ft deep as far as used space, Units would be mounted on the FOH grid(over the pit, about 15' above stage floor) and the throw would be 25-30ft to the front edge of the stage from the furthest pipe from the stage. . The director would like to cover the whole stage if possible but would be ok with just half. I know Wildfire's are out of the budget. I'm going to be emailing the rental house they have always used and find out pricing on the Altman fixtures.

Also might be of interest that it's a first time director, and the whole design process for the scenery and costumes a collaborative effort with no real plan so I won't have any drawings of the set. The only thing I'm certain of is the thrust their planning on building in front of the stage is only going to be 6ft deep so I won't have to contend with extremely steep light angles this time around. The old director liked to extend the stage to cover most of the pit and that put the front edge about 6ft from the furthest lighting position from the stage.

Last edited:
Bang for the buck would be fluorescent blacklight tubes.

The Elation UV Wash was a great fixture for the price, but they seem to be discontinued.

Most LED UV lights produce too much visible light, the exception being the Apollo Avere 4UV, but it's likely out of your budget.

The older UV cannons (American DJ, Chauvet) are affordable and effective but they have a warm up time that can make it a challenge to integrate into the show.

I'd call Randy Altman at Altman Rentals. You should be able to get a good rate. Mention my name if you like.

I'll keep Altman Rentals in mind. Just sent out an email to Syracuse Scenery and Stage Lighting as thre school has an account with them and that's who they have always used.

For lots of good quality true blacklight, use the money to rent some Wildfire units. Purchasing doesn't make much sense unless you know you have a future use, and wildfire units are not cheap to buy. Rental is best in this case.

Used these once before. Non dim and takes about 10 minutes to get to full brightness, but can make you shoelaces and teeth shine. Just turn them on in the prior cue and work it out.
118-ROX-UV-400FIX
proxy.php

About $130 when you add a bulb. I would use two for your stage.

I used some UV cannons for a dance recital. I rigged up a manual dowser (just a sheet of aluminum painted flat black) to let them warm up, and turned them off right after the number. You could also make a remote dowser with a servo or stepper motor if you hang the fixtures.

/mike

I LOVE the Altman UV-705 units. Two of them will be more than enough to cover an entire stage. They have an arc lamp, so they require a warm up of about 5 minutes, but they are totally worth it. Don't mess around with cheap fluorescent options, you will be unhappy with the end result.

I LOVE the Altman UV-705 units. Two of them will be more than enough to cover an entire stage. They have an arc lamp, so they require a warm up of about 5 minutes, but they are totally worth it. Don't mess around with cheap fluorescent options, you will be unhappy with the end result.
I was thinking 2 of that fixture or 2 wildfire units would be ideal. Waiting to hear back as to the cost before I decide.

I'm sure the warm up time can be worked into the blocking, as nothings set yet. I also suppose I could have a member or 2 of the crew go into the catwalk and manually douse them if necessary. The catwalk position would have a steep angle(about 60 deg to the edge of the stage) if I have to go that route, which may work my advantage anyway if the effects are in the background.

Used these once before. Non dim and takes about 10 minutes to get to full brightness, but can make you shoelaces and teeth shine. Just turn them on in the prior cue and work it out.
118-ROX-UV-400FIX
proxy.php

About $130 when you add a bulb. I would use two for your stage.
What fixture is that? Dependant on the rental cost, it may be cheaper to buy a couple of those.

If you search 400 watt black light fixtures you get a larger result. The one search result for the fixture listed is just one supplier of cheap lights.

My school did seussical a year ago, we used a few Blacklights( some colorkinetics ones) in our production, we used them during the hunch scene where w had the extras dress in complete black except for white gloves, and hats with the Styrofoam hunch symbol from the books, so when you watched it looked as if white hands were pushing and leading the actor around to the musical sequence.

Just an update:

We ordered 2 of the 118-ROX-UV-400FIX yesterday, as well as 4 lamps.

Reasons for purchase rather than rental are as follows:
-With a rental, we only have 1 week to work out the kinks(no playtime to maximize the effect)
-Purchase of these fixtures costs about the same as the rental fee
-The rental house the school uses only carries florescent and LED UV fixtures, neither of which they recommend for our application. The rental cost of either of those fixtures was over $100 for a week and we'd need a bunch of them to get the desired effect. They suggested a gel to give the effect.
-Budgetwise, the production can afford them because they are not renting any drops this year and have a little extra money over the normal budget.

The plan is to use them for pool scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back