Control/Dimming Recommend a Dimmer

AliciaD

our church is looking for a new dimmer.
We currently have an Elation 6 - 20 am channel 120V satelite set up. It's biting the dust so we're looking to get a new dimmer.

i'd like a system we can expand as we're looking to move to a larger more flexible facility soon, however being a church we dont have tons of need for effects, motion, or a rock tour budget either.

satelite, wall mount, rack, 6 channel, 8, 12... would your prefer a 6@20Amp or a 12 @10amp? I kinda know what i'm leaning toward but would love some input.

Also what brand do you love, who has great customer service? and who's a nightmare of unanswered calls or badly assembled works?

Thanks!!!

... Also what brand do you love, who has great customer service? and who's a nightmare of unanswered calls or badly assembled works? ...
We try here to speak only of the positives, and not go denigrating vendors and manufacturers.

If you just want to replace your existing, the Leprecon ULD-360-HP is an almost identical pack. One can purchase a shoebox dimmer for as little as $80 or as much as $1200, and pretty much, price=quality.
...satelite, wall mount, rack, 6 channel, 8, 12...
Each has its benefits and drawbacks, and comes down to how much power is available, how many lights it is expected to control, how the venue is used, preferred fixture connector, and of course, cost.

If you're looking at permanently installed systems:
If you have 30-50A of 120/208VAC 3Ø power available, the 12x10A SmartPack Wall Mount is a nice unit.
If you have 200-400A of 120/208VAC 3Ø, I'd install a 96x2.4kW Sensor3 rack.

Whatever you buy, look for the UL or ETL listing. Non- Listed, by NRTL equipment is not permitted for places of assembly covered by NEC Article 520.

Ask your friendly, local dealer what he/she recommends, and we'll be glad to support/refute his/her suggestions.

Last edited:
Derek did an amazing job of explaining it to you so as far at brand I'm just going to say that ETC is my favorite brand for the equipment as well as the amazing customer service.

I have just worked on a bunch of shows in several different venues where I ended up renting portable packs to supplement existing systems. For various reasons I ended up with different units in a few cases and here are my thoughts:

I found that the ULD360-HPs tripped constantly. I used several different units from two different rental houses so it wasn't a maintenance issue. Fed by two dedicated 20A circuits and connected to 6 Source 4s lamped at 575W they would, without fail, trip when we brought more than four of the lights up past 80% or so. They were rated for 30A total so they shouldn't have had this problem but it appeared that they can only support 80% or their rated load before their built in breakers would trip. One rental house sent out a unit with one dead channel. Obviously this isn't necessarily indicative of a faulty problem but rather of faulty maintenance but...

Rented SmartBar 2s for one show and SmartModules for another. They were fantastic. I can speak highly enough of them. Rock solid reliable. Performed as rated. Nice menu structure. They are way more expensive then the ULD360s though so that is something to consider.

I really liked the ones from Applied as well. I rented the six channel ones for a production and they worked as described which, with dimmers, is really all we can ask.

In terms of larger units I have been happy with Sensor, SmartPack touring racks, and Leprecon's rack mounted units.

ETC also sells the SmartModule which is a 4 or 6 Channel portable module that is very robust. I check prices just last week and they are priced really competitively with the Leprecon packs (At least they are in Canada..)

I have had some issues with the ULD360's as well, although my issues were control rated...

Don't forget you might depending on budget and other factors already mentioned, want to look into a used Strand CD80, they were/are very popular, they are quite reliable and Strand is still in business should you really need their help.

Also ETC's products are well worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back