Design Recommendation for white LED wash lighting?

Ben Stiegler

I'm helping a small improv theater venue with a compact stage. The space came with tiny 12V halogen micro-spots, which dont have much throw and are hung from tracks that don't allow cross-lighting. The stage is maybe 20x8, and I only need to cover it with a single controlled area. Color isn't important, but a good white (warm) for skin tones is. Wireless DMX would be a plus given the challenges of cabling neatly in this space, but not absolutely required.

Can anyone steer me to "budget" white LEDs similar to the Chauvet DJ stuff that are either RGBA or just WW? I think 4, maybe 6, would cover the stage (no room for backlights) and be a whole lot better than the twinkie-halogens in place.

Duty cycle is probably 18 hours/week.

Thanks!

Ben

so that's $2-3K for 4-6 fixtures ... I think the budget is probably $1K or under ... so I'm hoping to split the fine line between "throw it out before you install it" and things I would install in a revenue-generating space where lighting must be rock-solid reliable and has more of an operating budget. Butterflies and unicorn wish, or doable?

they are in tracks, but tracks are powered from cloud hanging centered over the house - bad lighting angles. I did think about side pipe track lights, tho and that's probably a good fallback.

BTW - here we both are in the bay area. wanna have coffee some day? Ben

Might be worth a look at elumen8 MP60 WW fresnel or, if you want color, the MP75 which gets you RGBW. Get a sample and try them. We've got some of the RGBW and they kick out quite a lot of light which for a small stage might suffice. We reckon the brightness, depending of how zoomed they are and the color, is somewhere between a 300W and a halogen PAR. They're about 200-250 GBP - not sure of US price but probably in budget if you can get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back