Microphones Recommendations for Expanding Microphone Inventory

NickVon

***NECRO post**
***scroll down for update ***
:)

We are a medium-to small venue. 300 seat house, and i'm budgeting about 600$ for some some inventory expansion. I'd like bang for my buck obviously.

We do a wide range events from City Council election debate, moderate scale musicals and plays, student Karokee/fashion show events, Lectures, bands/orchestras, etc.

I'm don't feel a need for a "drumkit" mic set. (and they fall into more then i really want to spend on a the whole for what i think is rather specialized microphones from my understanding. I'd like to expand into some condenser mic for strings (violin, cello, string bass.) The large diaphragm mic seem more expensive for this budget year (or at least until the end of the season.)

Currently. I have

4 Crown PCC160's
7 Shure SM58's
1 Shure SM57
1 Shure 565SD (Unisphere I)
1 AKG D231

I'd like to get one more 58, and 57. As i run into needing 8 table mics often enough now and having them all the same would be convenient. Another 57 settles me for mic'ing two electric guitars which happen frequently enough with our pit orchestras for musicals.

I've found these M-Audio Pulsar II, condenser Mic's on Full Compass and seem like a sweet spot interms of price.M-Audio Pulsar II Matched Pair Cardioid Condenser Microphones, Matched Pair | Full Compass
any feedback on this product or something equivalent?

Anything thoughts on a Large Diaphragm Condenser sub 200$ (that isn't garbage) or something for string bass? would it be okay or terrible for a bass drum?

Despite not "needing a drum kit" would something like Shure PGDMK6-XLR solve my instrument mic lacking while including some drum mics?
Shure PGDMK6 XLR Drum microphone package. | Full Compass

My ear is not really trained enough i suppose to inherently know the difference in sound from the D321 and the 565SD. Are they just different feel vocal mics. I've don't use them often because they both have switches on them that inexperienced people will inevitably turn off and forget that they did.

Budget is a little flexible, and if you think needing 8 mice to be all the same is crazy do let me know. If there

The overall purpose is for live reinforcement, not for any kinda of fancy studio recording. We do record some of our shows and performances for marketing, and local TV broadcast, but I'm not concerned with the nuances of a 3,000 microphone over a 300$ version :)

Thank you for any feedback.

Last edited:
Don't get Shure PG series - spend your money on SM or Beta series. For a kick mic which also works really well on bass cabs look at the Beta52a. For a small diaphragm condenser look in to the Shure SM94. I've used the 94s before for different things (including an upright bass) and I like them a lot. I own one personally as well. I prefer SDCs to LDCs for most stage use applications due to ruggedness and better placement options. Unless you do a lot of kick drums and bass cabs, skip the Beta52a, and go for an SM58, two SM57s, and two SM94s

NovaMusik has at2050's for 129 each, thats 100 off regular. I just split an order with another guy for three of them and I'm digging mine.

Do you have any tours coming in? If so, buying "non standard" mics is not the thing to do. Most groups expect 58s, 57s, 81s, as well as beta 58s. If its just you using the gear, get what you can afford and what sounds good to you. If you have to fill riders though, there is nothing more rider friendly then a complete set of Shure gear.

We do not have tour's or riders that we have to fill.

I'm looking to provide a more robust selection for mic'ing things other then voices in house. Thanks for all the suggestions. Leaning towards the SM94's because of price point, though with the next go around I'll be looking at the KSM137 and a Beta52, which I've been doing some reading up on.

Thank you for the input everyone.

First, I'm somewhat ignoring the $600 budget here, just thinking of what I'd do in your situation without regard to particulars of money.

You need another 58, so get that. Eight is a nice (though often overkill) number to have -- and you can use a 58 for the same things you'd use a 57 for.

I'd also like another 57 for, say, two electric guitars.

I agree with Kyle's thoughts. Missing of course are SM81s. I'd like to see two at least (ideally 3 or 4, but that's way out of budget). SM94s are okay but not my first choice.

I'm also not sure how you're using your PCCs, but if they're in a floor mic application, you want to use an odd number so you have one at center. You might consider a fifth PCC.

Of course all that won't fit into $600, so you'll have to pick and choose. If it were me, the first things I'd spend money on would be the 81s. You can find 58s for cheap readily. I have several I rarely use (in fact, there's been one in the back of my car, an old one that's pretty banged-up but good, for something like 5 years that I keep forgetting about). Since you can use a 58 for things you'd use a 57 on, getting another 57 isn't very important. And like the 58, they're cheap, but even more so.

We do not have tour's or riders that we have to fill.

I'm looking to provide a more robust selection for mic'ing things other then voices in house. Thanks for all the suggestions. Leaning towards the SM94's because of price point, though with the next go around I'll be looking at the KSM137 and a Beta52, which I've been doing some reading up on.

Thank you for the input everyone.

Don't turn you back on Audix stuff, especially if you are looking for percussives. We picked up a set a year or so ago consisting of (2) D2 and one each D4, D6, I5. I've used the D6 on kick drum, concert bass drum, tuba solo, and both upright and electric Basses. the i5 is isimailar to a 57 and I have used it on snare, guitar, and occasionally brass in a pinch. the D2s are designed as tom mics, but I have used them acceptably on congas, bongos, and a variety of xylophone type stuff. D4 is a low tom mic that I've heard works well on saxes also, but I've got 421s for that job so I've never tried it myself. All in all it's been a very flexable kit and I think I remember it costing around $600. There's another kit, for slightly more money that adds a pair of SDCs, nominally for OH use but could be used elsewhere too.

I appreciate all the response folks.

This is an update as we are getting into a new budget season.

I ended up getting the Shure SM94's and they have worked quite well.

This year I'm looking at a 5th PCC160 for "center" as was suggested above.

Shure 52?
I also took a gander at Sennheiser KE6 Shotgun microphones for stage edge, to pickup some upstage isolation.

I'm curious as to what other Basic Mic's you would consider to be appropriate in a standard inventory. Perhaps something in the Large Condenser design, or are these not really great for stage use and more fore isolated recording? I'm potentially looking at Audix Drum kit set. Been thinking about a mic that would pick up Bass/electric and upright, kick drum. (Shure 52?) This is for a combination of House reinforcement and so i have some more mics for the rough 2 channel recordings I do. (with our larger pit orchestra i have a hard time managing a balance mix between 4 microphones for the recording.)

Open to many more thoughts thanks!

How do you like the SM94s? I was thinking about picking 1 up next year for specialty purposes. Similar to you, I'm picking up a 3rd PCC-160 for our space within the month.

I've heard good things about the D6 for bass drum, but if you're worried about having to fill tech riders, the Beta 52 is a sure-fire bet. Once again, I'm planning on picking one up in July with our new budget.

Seeing as how you do musicals as well, maybe investing in a couple AT 853s (hanging choir) for general reinforcement for those who don't have a wireless body pack might help. Also, condensers like the SM81 are great for a wide range of uses (including piano).

I appreciate all the response folks.
I'm curious as to what other Basic Mic's you would consider to be appropriate in a standard inventory.
Open to many more thoughts thanks!

Here's my mic list
6 x Senneheiser E845 Corded Microphones
4 x Shure SM 57 Corded Microphones
2 x Senneheiser EW300 Radio Mics (Lapel or H/Held)
5 x Senneheiser EW325 Radio Mics (Lapel or H/Held)
3 x Shure Beta-91 (PZM’s)
1x Shure Beta 52a
5 x Audio Technical AT853x Choir Mics ( 3 pre hung Line 2)
2 x pairs Behringer C2 pencil Condenser Mics
2 x Behringer C3 dual Diaphragm Condenser Mics
3x Behringer XM1800s (with switches)
D.I.’s:
2 x Behringer N222 (Phantom Powered)
1 x Behringer GI 100 (Phantom Powered)
1 x Behringer DI 120 (Phantom Powered)

We do everything from single vocal with piano, to school musicals (we hire in extra radios for those). Don't discount the Behringer stuff till you actually use it & hear it!
For a budget price (and we have to scrimp for money) they're not bad, especially for live use.

Cheers,
Ric

As you already have a bunch of 58's stick with those (though there are a number of mics I'd rather have).

The AT Pro37 SDC sounds great for most any application and is a bargain to boot, so that would be my first choice for instruments, percussion, maybe even guitar amps (I've not tried it there, but I've used Audix TeenyDCs on amps and have been quite pleased).

The B52 is good for kick drum and nothing else, as it has a very tailored (scooped mids) response. And it's the most badly packaged mic I've had the displeasure to use. On kick I've switched from the D6 to the PR40, which is also good for most anything else (and can be found used for around $225 shipped if one has patience).

Has anyone had extensive use of the AKG C1000s. I've been borrowing 2 of them for vocals and actually quite like them. I'm not sure if i'll have a change to mic anything other then voices with them before I need to return them. Has anyone ever worked withthem as overhead to a small string ensemble or even fanned for a larger group of singers at a slight distance?

@ timmy thanks for your thoughts on the B52. When i get mic's am trying to look at products that arn't so specific in their uses So i'll look around at the D6's (Audix?) and the PR40 ( ????)

Yes, unfortunately I have used the C1000's quite a bit, including all of the sources you mentioned. They are extremely harsh and physically much larger than necessary. For the same or less money you could get Oktavas, MXL's, Rodes, or my pick, Sennheiser e614. Sorry, but I'm really not a fan of the C1000's.

By the way, the Beta 52 is my favorite of all the "kick drum" mics. I have also used it on bass cabinet, upright bass, and floor tom with great results.

If you're looking at picking up ensembles, strongly think about buying a few SM81s. They're around $350 list, but they are an extremely versatile (and high quality) mic for the purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back