Recommended LED spots or floods

Cineruss

Curious if anyone has a recommendation for LED floods or spots that would work well with an etc express board and traditional theater lights. I posted something on here earlier about running LED lights on a second universe and it went so well i am thinking about adding it to another.

I find 2 techniques will make LEDs reasonable on an older board like the Express. Your key limitation is your channel count, so grouping fixtures together is required. 2nd is setting the fixtures in a low parameter mode, like just RGB. As far as I know most major brands can do that. You lose some control but can fit more groups.

Another approach is to use white only fixtures. Again most major brands have them. ETC, Chauvet Pro, Elation Pro, Altman, Strand etc. Find a dealer you can form a relationship with and do some demos. They can be your best friend. See what works in your space and budget.

Thanks, well I have successfully integrated 6 Elation PARS in a small building that only had 5 ellipisoids. But now I am looking at possibly adding a few to a setup in a community college. The techs there rarely change gels on their lighting so I am thinking of adding possibly 6 LED lights with RGB controls so they wont have this color problem. All are meant to augment the current lighting and I have enough channels (48) on this ETC Express board. But am curious if there are any that are robust enough to be used with existing theater lights. I am not looking the type of lighting that has the mechanics for turning and positioning, just some robots fixtures that have ether good spot or flood capabilities for a space around 40’ x 30’.

I am currently fond of ETC ColorSource Pars and Spots. They hit a nice balance of price, quality, and performance. They easily stand up to incandescent counterparts. I recently had a CS Spot mounted next to a Source 4 with a 750W long life lamp and identical old lenses. Even when color matched the CS was brighter by a clear margin!

But your last sentence leaves me confused on movement. Using moving head fixtures is a whole other conversation.

Thanks RickR,

I will check into the ETC ColorSource units. Just what I was looking for. The previous place I was at used very cheap DJ lights. They worked but the theater lighting was far superior.

My apologies on the confusion but you got it. I was basically looking for something that would give me good intensity and RGB controls but nothing more as in computer controlled lights that rotate and change focus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back