Recording Suggestions TASCAM cd recorder died

Hi,

I work for a church and our TASCAM CD recorder died this weekend. We use it to record a CD version of the presenter and sometimes live music - the CD is then uploaded to itunes as a podcast using a PowerMac G5. We are looking to replace it (Tascam not PowerMac). What is your recommendation? Our Sound Board is a Allen&Heath GL2400. We are considering moving away from the CD recording but as you can see some of our technology is outdated. If we move to a solid state digital device or multi-track device - would our soundboard still be relevant? All suggestions and recommendations are welcome and links to other threads are greatly appreciated.

I've been using a Tascam DR-1 portable digital recorder, that has analog inputs. I've used it to record off of both analog and digital boards, including my Mackie DL1608 where I also recorded digitally on the docked iPad. With 24-bit WAV file format I was not able to hear a difference between the recording on the iPad and the DR-1. If you are planning multi-track recording with post-prod mixing then you'll need something else. But for straight pre-mixed LR recordings I would suggest that any decent digital recorder and an analog cable at Hosa or above quality should work just fine.

I've had a lot of good experience with the Zoom brand recorders as well. I think all of the makes at this point have models that allow you to patch in 2-4 balanced line level signals. If you're thinking of going multi-track, our church uses PreSonus Firestudio Projects that link up with our MacBook via firewire. It works well and you can upgrade by purchasing additional Projects to add 8 inputs at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back