Recording with Behringer USB consoles

shayward

I am just diving into the relm of recording for a vocal ensemble (10 channels of wireless) that I run sound for and I am looking to get a little more flexibility for my recordings so I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about the Behringer USB line of mixers. Currently I am just running a stereo copy of my Yahmaha mixers output to my computer and recording a stereo track on audacity, but what I would like to do is be able to record each micropone as their own track and be able to adjust the mix in adacity in post editing. Is this possible with the USB consoles? Does the USB send allow for each of the inputs to be sent as their own channel to the recording software, or is it going to just send a 2 channel stereo feed to the computer?

Thanks for that information guys! Unfortunately I know that I wouldn't be able to spend the couple thousand dollars for an ONYX console.....although that would be great. Does anyone have any ideas for recording interfaces that may work for this application? Keeping in mind that I would still need to be able to mix the live performance but would also like to send each of the individual mic feeds to audacity for the ability to post-mix a recording.

I found this quickly, it might be sorta what you want: Zoom R16 Multitrack Mobile Production Studio | Musician's Friend
It's more geared towards recording but it may be usable as a live mixer too since it has quarter-inch outs. Not perfect, but something. Also one unit only has 8 XLR ins but you can link two units together for 16 channels. Comes with Cubase too, which is a step up from Audacity :]

Another option is to use the direct outs of the Behringer board (I'm assuming it's the 244 model if you're using 10 inputs, yeah?) to go into a rack-mount interface like this one and mix live and record separately. Alas, that unit also has only 8 XLR ins... But it's an idea.

Hope this helped a bit! However, as unfortunate as it may be, multitrack recording with 10+ inputs might be a bit expensive :\

You might look for a used Motu 24I. You can tap the inserts of (almost) any console in your price range to send an unbalanced signal to an interface that has 1/4" inputs. Push the connector in one click to only get the "send" part of the insert and not interrupt the signal path. A more secure way of doing it is to wire a cable (or snake) with TRS on the mixer side, Tip and Ring shorted, and TS on the recorder side.

If you truly want stability I would recommend skipping the computer for tracking and find a used Alesis HD24. Transfer can be done slowly and for free, or you can buy their Fireport to transfer the files to your computer for mixing.

I saw this interface mentioned on another thread and was wondering if anyone knew if it would be possible to chop the RCA ends off and re-soulder them with XLR plugs.
You could, but you'd still have unbalanced, consumer level audio inputs and outputs, just with different connectors. If you have a FireWire port than Echo Digital Audio Corporation is around $600 new plus whatever is costs to split the wireless microphone signals to both that interface and your FOH console. 1/4" TRS I/O, but at least they are balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back