Automated Fixtures Reference points (?) in ETC Element

ngmouse

Howdy all,

I'm a fairly novice programmer and trying to figure out if there's a way to accomplish what I'm thinking here. I did some reading but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for.

Say I have a mover at 0, 0 and pan it over 5 points so it's 5, 0. Is there a way to treat that 5, 0 as the new 0, 0 and have that light panned over those 5 points as a default?

You want this to be forever right? Like the home position would be at 5,0?
I've never used an Element, but in the patch menu, there's usually options that include invert pan/tilt and offsets for "mis calibrated" things, like scrollers or LED wash fixtures that render colors differently. I presume such thing also exists for pan offset.

I think what you are looking for is called the Home Preset.
  • Presets are like a cue, but stand alone.
  • Every light has a home setting defined in its patch profile.
  • In the settings screen you can choose a preset to override the home settings. I usually use 999 so its away from show presets.
The fixture will still show as at 5,0 but it will return there on GoToCue 0 or Home commands.

Does that do what you want?

I think what you are looking for is called the Home Preset.
  • Presets are like a cue, but stand alone.
  • Every light has a home setting defined in its patch profile.
  • In the settings screen you can choose a preset to override the home settings. I usually use 999 so its away from show presets.
The fixture will still show as at 5,0 but it will return there on GoToCue 0 or Home commands.

Does that do what you want?

I don't think so. I already have all my presets and cues recorded and want them to be affected by this change as well. I'm under the impression that changing the home preset wouldn't affect those parameters when the light is not homed. Right?

Much thanks!

Last edited:
You want this to be forever right? Like the home position would be at 5,0?
I've never used an Element, but in the patch menu, there's usually options that include invert pan/tilt and offsets for "mis calibrated" things, like scrollers or LED wash fixtures that render colors differently. I presume such thing also exists for pan offset.

This sounds like it might be what I'm looklng for--I'll look into it and see, thanks.

Familiarize yourself with focus palettes. They are the mechanism for storing position information for a fixture. They can be included as reference data in presets and cues, including the aforementioned Home Preset.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's no easy way of setting a pan/tilt offset in etc land. Once you determine the offset you can edit a group of presets at once (blind Focus palette 1 through 10/cue 15 thru 30/etc) and apply a relative adjustment (Chan 51 Pan @ +05)

This sounds like it might be what I'm looklng for--I'll look into it and see, thanks.

This ended up doing what I was looking for! I made a copy of the fixture personality and edited the User Min and User Max values of the parameter I was adjusting, in Ranges.

In this case, I was using a preset as a visual reference point during channel check and was trying to figure out what to do if it was incorrect and a power cycle wouldn't fix it or if it was replaced. I panned the unit until it looked correct again, then subtracted that new pan value from the original one. I added that difference to the User Min and User Max for the pan parameter range, which corrected the difference in all other cues & presets.

Familiarize yourself with focus palettes. They are the mechanism for storing position information for a fixture. They can be included as reference data in presets and cues, including the aforementioned Home Preset.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It seems like if I used focus palettes from the beginning I would have been able to just update one focus palette that all presets reference and avoided editing the fixture profile? I'll do more work to understand palettes better when I have more time. Much thanks!

There's no easy way of setting a pan/tilt offset in etc land. Once you determine the offset you can edit a group of presets at once (blind Focus palette 1 through 10/cue 15 thru 30/etc) and apply a relative adjustment (Chan 51 Pan @ +05)

That was my original thought. While it worked for positive relative adjustments, it didn't work for negative ones. Eg, Chan 51 Pan @ -05 would put the pan parameter at -05, not 5 points less than what it was. I wonder if my syntax should be different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back