Vintage Lighting Refurbishing Kliegl Fresnels

piper3

I have some old Kleigl 6 in fresnels. I have read some previous post and come up with the conclusion that I should just ask if anyone is taking on the task of getting these working again. I saw that Ship has a bit of experience, so I wanted to reach out and ask if this is something that Ship or someone like him is interested in taking on.
I can send photos of the units.
Thanks.

Is this something you're wanting to have sent back in working condition, or are you essentially donating them?

Is this something you're wanting to have sent back in working condition, or are you essentially donating them?

I would like to get them working to use for occasional video shoots. I would like to find out if there is someone out there that will refurbish --- and if makes financial sense to have someone else revamp them.
Unless it is an easy DIY- then maybe I can handle that.
Trying to figure out the best scenario.

Do the fixtures in question have asbestos whips? See the photos in the wiki.

Probably not cost-effective to pay someone $25+ per hour to rewire them for you. Cleaning/rewiring is best as a DIY project; you just need someone to show you how, and help you find the right parts, like hi-temp wire leads, fiberglass sleeving, and so forth.

Depending on where you are I may be able to refit one unit and leave you with directions on how to do the others.

Depending on where you are I may be able to refit one unit and leave you with directions on how to do the
others.
Kleigl_Lights.jpg
Above should be a jpeg of the 2 kinds of units I have-- if I attached the photo correctly. I have 2 units each.
I'm located in the Philly area. and would either like to send you one of each to work on and I do the other 2 or I would like to ask if someone could direct me to all that is involved for the DIY, if sending you 2 units is not feasible.
Thanks.

You've now got me confused.
It looks like they both have modern fiberglass sleeved whips.
Are the sockets not working?

You've now got me confused.
It looks like they both have modern fiberglass sleeved whips.
Are the sockets not working?

As you can tell, my knowledge is limited with the lamps and electric. Maybe I'm not in as bad of shape as I thought...
--I only have 110 outlets and these have the 220 cords. Can they be switched over-- is there another way to convert to 110?
--Where would I locate the bulb information for these lights to test them out once the cords are replaced?
Thanks.

--I only have 110 outlets and these have the 220 cords. Can they be switched over-- is there another way to convert to 110?
Thanks.

From the picture those look like NEMA L5-15R 15A 125V plugs. So it looks like someone built those as 120v with a twist lock set-up which doesn't match up with what you have in the rest of your house. You need to check the lamp voltage ratings and then plan from there.

All you need to do is change the plugs to these:
proxy.php

Anybody that does basic electrical work can do this in 2 minutes or so.

Here are the 2 Fresnels. The small one has no information on the bulb type.
The larger one has some information-- but the bulb in one looks "cemented in" Do you replace the entire ceramic fixture or just the bulb in this one?
View attachment 5178

On the larger fixture, the entire porcelain block gets replaced, as it's part of the lamp.

I was expecting to see a medium prefocus socket on the smaller fresnel, but it appears to be a standard TP-22 socket, theoretically capable of accepting a 575w GLA type lamp.

Grasp the large porcelain lamp by the ceramic block and pull straight up (you may have to slightly rock it side-to-side a bit carefully!). It should come out, exposing two large pins. Take a picture of that lamp, next to a ruler. We know it is 120v/1,000w. Now we just need the deminsions.

Note that we refer to stage lighting "bulbs" as lamps.

Last edited:
I rewired one of the larger Fresnels and the current lamp works! I will order a lamp for the smaller Fresnel today.
I should be in good shape from here.

To all that had input--- Thanks for the help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back