Vintage Lighting Refurbishing: Mole Richardson SolarSpot 410

Is the above photo the Mole #410 fixture? Checked an elder catalogue at home and #410 was not in it. Mole at least has a historical section where one can find a model and post its design.

First I would recommend everyone starting on the same page for condition and what we are talking about fixture wise. I don't know what light this is and could not hope to come up with a plan before this. Once photos of it are posted - as many as possible, we are on the same page of experience in what to look for and at.

Plans for removing asbestos - no comment. Plans for removing paint, depends what paint is on it and sand blasting has various media available which won't pebble the surface. Might depend on what type of paint in possibly coming off with Goof Off. Mole Richardson sells their paint in a spray paint form and it it very high quality. (It likely won't be the same color as the color of Maroon for Mole has changed over the years.) Otherwise powder coating is often a good option if for display purposes. On the other hand If an antique, re-wiring and re-tapping bolts probably fine, rust reformer and cleaning, but retaining it's patina probably worth more. Perhaps some sort of clear coat over what history is there might be more visuably interesting otherwise in preventing rust but keeping the patina?

If you have a serial number to the fixture, send it to Mole and if not busy they can tell you what date it was made.

1: Disassemble completely, NOTING CAREFULLY HOW IT CAME APART
2a: If you're picky carefully remove all asbestos wiring and dispose of properly OR
2b: If you're not picky, just handle it carefully and don't breathe the asbestos dust
3: Remove existing paint--Wire brush all sides of all parts, including small hardware
4: Excamine all parts, especially the socket, and replace if worn or damaged
5: Degrease all parts (and your fingers in order to handle) (acetone or MEK works well)
6: Spray w/ good hi-temp primer, allow to dry 24 hrs.
7: Spray all internals w/hi-temp flat black paint, allow to dry 24 hrs min.
8: Spray all externals w/M-R paint (Available from M-R, or it used to be), allow to dry 24 hrs. min.
9: Re-assemble per your notes from item 1 above. Use a little graphite grease on adjustment screws & bolts
10: Put a lamp in it, plug it in & warm it up on a dimmer at about 50% for a couple hours to cure the paint.
11: Enjoy your (near) factory-new M-R instrument
Hello Jon,

I am a new member and I would like to ask you a couple of questions regarding a light I inherited.
I took most of the light carefully apart and also took away the asbestos and disposed of it properly.
But, I think there maybe more asbestos, although I am unable to recognise it and I would like to ask
you If I could send you a couple of pictures of the light?

Ruurd, I'm not the original poster of this thread and do not have (nor have I ever seen) the instrument we discussed 5 years ago. You might try looking up the original poster and see if he finished his project and could sned you photos.. But, yes, please do email me a couple of photos of your instrument and I'll be glad to assist if/where I can. [email protected].

You should be starting a new post with photos for your question.. There has been various weevings of absbos cable jackets in the past, use of asbestos as padding, and asbestos as insulators over the years.

As a new member, please do not feel intimidated from presenting a new post - hopefully with lots of photos' with what problem you have. We are tech people, do not be intimidated from posting - this is the goal of the website to help others no matter how new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back