Regular dimmer downstream from dimmer rack

Well I once asked Steve Terry what would happen to the ES750 if powered by a dimmer. Iirc he said the ES750 died a quick death or something to that effect. Maybe it just went up in smoke.

Like a rotary wall dimmer?

Attachments

• IMG_3429.JPG
    IMG_3429.JPG
    3.7 KB · Views: 150
I'm curious, what is the purpose of doing this?

I'm curious, what is the purpose of doing this?
Much cheaper to locate dimmer in mechanical run and use existing electrical wiring and just run back a DMX cable to the control point. I could just wire past the switches and put a cover over them, but it would be good to keep local control at the control point for volunteer staff since they won’t have access to the dmx controllers. Unless there is a cheap dmx controller that is as friendly as a wall switch.

I can buy this and agree it would be a cheap solution. I don't feel it helps the anyone from avoiding the DMX board, as both controls have to be "on" to operate the lights. My concern would be the unfamiliar operator, who comes in and tries to determine whether the system is HTP or LTP. That person may have to resort to WTF logic.

Triac and SCR based dimmers rely on accurate zero cross to be able to time their dimming, and a dimmed waveform, particularly once harmonics get involved, does not always have a reliable cross. After that all bets are off as to how the second dimmer will respond, smoke is one option...

Wouldn't a Doug Fleener wall station be a better solution?

You're asking for a lot of trouble by daisy-chaining dimmers. And I pity the next guy who has to try and figure out how the place is wired.

I'm at the point where I think I'd remove the original dimmer switches and just put blanks over them, and run everything directly from the dimmer itself. For the local control, I'd either look into getting an easy to use dmx console, or, this dimmer has 0-10v inputs for each channel, so in place of where the switches once were, I can basically put in a bank of potentiometers and feed that back through low voltage cabling.

I agree that keeping the existing switches introduces additional complexities I don't want to have to trouble shoot later.

Dimmer in series with a dimmer? Not recommended but possible, would require the primary dimmer to have a ghost load in order for it's firing circuit to work correctly, even if parked at 100%. Both dimmers want to have access to line voltage in order for their firing circuits to work correctly. If the primary dimmer became un-parked, the LV transformer in dimmer #2 would fry. As with all electronics, dimmer #2's electronics want to see a sine wave input. Since the chances of damaging equipment are so high, I would NOT recommend doing it!
Full Disclosure- I had to do it once.

Dimmer in series with a dimmer? Not recommended but possible, would require the primary dimmer to have a ghost load in order for it's firing circuit to work correctly, even if parked at 100%. Both dimmers want to have access to line voltage in order for their firing circuits to work correctly. If the primary dimmer became un-parked, the LV transformer in dimmer #2 would fry. As with all electronics, dimmer #2's electronics want to see a sine wave input. Since the chances of damaging equipment are so high, I would NOT recommend doing it!
Full Disclosure- I had to do it once.
This is correct, I've done it too, it worked but not best practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back