Regular or Stressed Skin Platform

BSchend

So for technical requirements of the show, I need to utilize a 4x8 platform that will only have support along the 8' length. I'm planning on using stud walls out of 2x6 so they should support the ends of the crossing members of the platform. The final issue is that due to various clearance needs the platform can't be more than 4.5" thick.

I want to go as strong as I can, just in case some of the cast members get over spirited in their singing in a few numbers (think show choir enthusiasm as opposed to full out dancing).

I have no problem building this platform custom, so what would you guys recommend? A regular 2x4 framed platform topped with 3/4, but adding a few extra toggles? Making a stressed skin platform?

For simple "standing" I'm sure the regular framing with a couple extra toggles would be fine, but I always like to over engineer just as a precaution.

Thanks.

If your span is only 4' (opposite edges of a 4x8, right?) 2x4 on 16" centers and 3/4 ply should be very stout, but the studs should line up with the 2x4s, or a beam - header - at top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back