Remember to safety cable those instruments!

While a good reminder this video is probley fake. Several reasons were discused on the stagecraft list but the bigest was lack of reaction. No screams or yelling even if she was knocked out there would be other people on set.

I'd even go so far as to safety cable barn doors. I had one slip off of a fresnel two years ago and had it not been safety cabled to the light, it would have fallen 35' onto some kids playing kickball.

In hind sight... I think that they gym class kicked a ball into it causing it to dislodge.

It's fake; they're not going to be using aluminum par cans in a TV studio anyways. Way too little reaction to an accident like that anyways.

But still, I don't take the topic lightly. I cable every single instrument I hang. On the Source 4's I wrap the cable around the electric, the yoke, and hook it onto the little eye in front of the lamp holder. The borderlights are cabled on each end. The fresnels and cyclights are cabled through the yoke.

Righto- that's why there are so many safety cables available today. Sure someone makes a buck selling them, but it's a heckuva lot cheaper than a lawsuit or hospital bill.

(That clip is pretty funny though, when considering the can and the reaction!)

;)

definitely a fake ... if you pause each frame of the impact (yes, its a slow day at work today), the can actually overlaps some of her forehead.

I definitely agree about securing the barndoors...I was pulling down an 8" 2K fresnel and the barndoor literally fell off when I touched it, scared me to think what could have happened.

Stupid Berkeley Colortran (yes old) Fresnels... :eek:

Other than those particular lights we dont really have use for barndoors in our situation...there's a whole heap sitting in the booth.

I'd like to see a manufacturer produce a "mini-safety" for smaller items like barn doors because the regular size doesn't attach easily. It could also work for top hats, snoots, or gel frames that don't fit well for one reason or another.

Goon said:
I'd like to see a manufacturer produce a "mini-safety" for smaller items like barn doors because the regular size doesn't attach easily. It could also work for top hats, snoots, or gel frames that don't fit well for one reason or another.

I have bought both top hats and barn doors in the past that had saftetys on them... I always safety barn doors since those things can fall rather easily.

Even though that movie was fake. It was a very good reminder that you should alway use safty cables on lights. I personaly have never seen a light fall but I have herd some nasty stories about some.

PhantomD said:
Other than those particular lights we dont really have use for barndoors in our situation...there's a whole heap sitting in the booth.

I'll take them!

fosstech said:
It's fake; they're not going to be using aluminum par cans in a TV studio anyways. Way too little reaction to an accident like that anyways.

And yes this clip may be bad acting as far as reaction timing etc., but come on! its a joke! lighten up' i though it was hilarious! (given i have a disposition for bad humor, i guess i just liek to laugh)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back