Remodel in Salt Lake

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
The Mormon Tabernacle just got a remodel. For those of you who don't get Live Design magazine there is a great article about it this month which you can find here.

A lot of the work was on putting a nice automated rigging system and much of the article is about that an the building's amazing acoustics.

But towards the end they get to the lighting part of the package. How about 468 feet of Selador LED strips (price is around $1500 a foot by the way, although they no doubt got a better package deal than I was quoted). 8 VL3000s, 48 Color Commands and 148 Source4's with 120 Seachangers!! Plus they decided to pick up 3 EOS consoles (one spare in the rack just in case). That's going to be one amazing color mixing light show.

The Mormon Tabernacle just got a remodel. For those of you who don't get Live Design magazine there is a great article about it this month which you can find here.
A lot of the work was on putting a nice automated rigging system and much of the article is about that an the building's amazing acoustics.
But towards the end they get to the lighting part of the package. How about 468 feet of Selador LED strips (price is around $1500 a foot by the way, although they no doubt got a better package deal than I was quoted). 8 VL3000s, 48 Color Commands and 148 Source4's with 120 Seachangers!! Plus they decided to pick up 3 EOS consoles (one spare in the rack just in case). That's going to be one amazing color mixing light show.

I just subscribed to their magazine

Been discussed in other threads but here's my take on the four main mags: Live Design is great for telling you about the latest venue remodels, concert tours, and broadway shows. Lighting and Sound America is another great big glossy color magazine... I think it's got a little more educational content than Live Design. Stage Directions is the smallest and has the least cool pictures, but I think has some of the better content. PLSN is a great newsletter for keeping you up to date on changes in the industry but isn't really trying to teach you anything.

I don't get FOH because I'm really not a noise boy. It's from the same publisher as PLSN and I think it's also the similar newspaper format that's more about industry information.

All are paid for by advertising dollars so they are free if you are someone who spends money on tech budgets. If you are a student your best bet is probably to ask your teacher to get a subscription for the school.

Last edited:
All are paid for by advertising dollars so they are free if you are someone who spends money on tech budgets. If you are a student your best bet is probably to ask your teacher to get a subscription for the school.

haha, if you have told your teacher in the past to buy something than you qualify as someone who makes input in purchasing decisions...

Not that I advise anyone to lie but who knows if they would actually check to see if the "Pie Weebl Players" are a real theater company.

Really, if you can get a hold of one of the "free" cards out out of someone else's free live design then you are golden. My subscription is about 4 years old and is running from entertainment design that has a title that was about 4 jobs ago. But then again I moved awhile back to a new apt and somehow I started getting them to the new place, forwarded and everything. I guess they followed me through my USITT subscription or something.

I think at least one of the mags has an option to check of for being a "student," anyways?

You can subscribe to all the above magazines through their respective websites. And all are free.

They love having subscribers. The more they do, the better their readership numbers, the more they can charge their advertisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back