Remote Pinspots?

Also, do you have a console currently to control them? Being as you had fairly stationary light before, I would assume they were somewhat hard wired. Also keep in mind, that it's no picnic to program moving lights.

The cost of a console could be a problem if you dont already have one. You may want to go with something like MagicQ and get a USB DMX dongle, I've heard MagicQ is good with programming lights.

You only get pan movement out of that, not tilt. You'll have to adjust tilt by climbing up to the unit. I knew about that unit but didn't recommend it for that reason. It's also not going to look nearly as good as a regular 4515 pinspot on centerpieces because of the harsh color temperature.

Thanks guys, to respond to all of that here is a few responses.

**The Color Temperature may/may not be an issue.... but I see your point

** Yes I have a console, I run a Hog 3

** I got too excited didn't read it through and the fact that it does not have a tilt feature makes it useless.

So basically, back at square one. Thanks for all the input everyone :)

Deleted. Useless post.

Thanks guys, to respond to all of that here is a few responses.

**The Color Temperature may/may not be an issue.... but I see your point

** Yes I have a console, I run a Hog 3

** I got too excited didn't read it through and the fact that it does not have a tilt feature makes it useless.

So basically, back at square one. Thanks for all the input everyone :)

....You have a Hog III running pinspots?....

Please tell me you have something else hooked up to that...

I think the chauvet option is your best option. However, because you are dealing with pinspots... this might be an option.

Meteor - Puppeteer

I know, its janky technology. I have never actually seen one used, and really never wanted to. The thought of something trying to tilt a S4 via the yoke always made me sick. However, your not dealing with much weight at all, this might be the solution. I think they sold for around 400. It looks like BMI pulled them from their catalog this year. Might be worth a call to Meteor. I have a feeling they might have a few hundred in a warehouse that they really want to get rid of. Either that, or they got sued because the thing was such a bad idea.

yes I run other stuff with the Hog III! I do corporate event lighting.... the pinspots are just an annoying part of it haha. The puppeteer look ummm interesting? I think they are going to close this thread so again, thanks for all the feedback everyone. I will be sticking to the ol drive in a and focus method. Thanks!

A simple option like Chris meantioned would be IR Remote Motorized Panhead the chances are this would move your light, if hanging strait down, and a few modifications would need to be made to make sure it's safe. They cost $89 US. The problem with this situation is the IR remote might end up controling all of them, so you could use Full Range Pan & Tilt this one could be harder, as it is heavier and needs a controller, that costs more, this costs $144.99 US.
Nick

I remember a few years ago someone posted about using a wired pan/tilt control system for cameras to automate a bunch of front of house fixtures that were hard to get to. Can't remember the person or specifics now, but that could really work. There were a whole bunch of wired units that they just put up at the FOH position and hung something like S4 juniors on - so these were obviously for heavier cameras.

EDIT: Found the old thread 'cause I remembered who posted about it (SHARYNF): http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/4172-stupid-front-house-lights.html
(It's post 5)

Last edited:
Yeah, your major problems would be controlling them, and getting them safeley mounted onto whatever truss/pipes you have. If they are for camcorders chances are they would handle the weight, maybe get one or two and try them out.
Nick

Well since you say you run other stuff from the board, I take it you would know about running DMX cable to all these "moving" pin spots then too. I would think it would be a major hassle to run DMX cable in the air over say 100 tables, but since you'd have to run power it might not be as big of a problem. Also, I would assume that since you have other DMX stuff you would also know of any fan noise moving lights produce. A noisy fan right over every table could spell a disaster in future job offers. Things like the Meteor Ellipscan have a very bad high pitch whine.

ship, thanks for the information. I work for the hotel industry, we have no say in the table placement, decisions of rearrangement, etc. We try to have them hold off on chairs but they have a seperate schedule to adhere to, as do the clients that provide the centerpeices... nothing is ever as planned on paper.. that is mainly why I was looking for an alternative to driving our lift in to focus them, our ceilings are 28'( we also have specific areas we can hang in, therefore the pinspots are not directly above the tables), I'm short, usually the only one doing pinspots and don't have a ladder to accomodate...Currently I move chairs, drive in, re-focus, move chairs back, and hope they stay that way haha! Just thought I would throw the idea out there see if they existed. From the looks of things I will be doing the same ol thing :) Thanks to everyone who answered. You all rock!

--Bri :)

Did a few hotels in the past also, higher ceilings and still the note of a stage brace works for refocus. That and noting the different schedules and off site center pieces, loved the really far out ones.

Still though on focus, hard to do short of some remote focus you could bring to each table for it's individual look, much less harder yet to get the management to understand the problem in even paying for units that would focus. Shure possibly cheap DJ grade moving mirror type fixtures would be optimum no doubt I think, but that's the challenge in them that pay the bill not seeing this problem you do.

Go for a moving head if not moving mirror cheap DJ light on the other hand, at your throw distance if it could save on labor needed to focus, might long term it get the fixtures. Go for long life lamps also at like 1,000 hours or more for the fixtures also so as to get maximum sales pitch.

Assuming you work in your set space a lot and know it, there is only so many positions to light from and or to put tables at so position for the fixtures shouldn't be as much a problem. I would say go for it in presentin your plan and pricing, go cheap and long term get better for doing it by brand one at a time. Cheap because it's a static position and while as selling point bling to them also moving about you don't need as much initial or sustained accuracy.

You might buy one of these little guys and see how intensity and beam size work out.

Irradiant Mini Move

Only issue would be the fan noise. If you can't deal with the fan, as you might not be able to in a banquet situation, don't even think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back