RENT Pre show

techno89

Hope this is in the right section.
[EDIT by DL: Originally posted in Stage Mgmt & Facility. Thread moved to Sound.]

Anyone have any opinions on what to play as preshow music for RENT? I was thinking classic rock. Specific songs are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the show have a live pit orchestra? I've always found that they need the time during preshow to tune and warm up, thus preshow music would be counterproductive.

I agree with Les. I find many musicals don't need preshow music. I personally dislike when people play preshow music just out of some sense of obligation. It should be a real design choice. I really think you could do with out it for the show, IMO.

~Dave

I'll third the background-music point, generally it just clutters up the soundscape when too loud, and you have to be on watch for the pit band playing on top of your music.

I generally only have some appropriately themed music playing at barely-audible levels immediately after the house doors open, just to "warm up" the space for the first 50 people who enter, after which it becomes inaudible over the crowd/band and I turn it off. It's a matter of subtlety and consideration of why you want the background music in the first place.

I really dislike it when there is preshow music or sound "just because", especially if poorly chosen or too present.

Sometimes it can be nice, to set the mood or set something up. Generally I think it's unnecessary. Your audience wants to socialize anyways, and music can sometimes get in the way of it.

If you have a pit band or orchestra, not only will you butt heads (with you loosing), but you'll tick them off. Plus there are some audience members who seem to enjoy hearing the musicians warm up oddly enough.

Judging by the fact that you are doing RENT a Rock Opera type of show, Im guessing that you do not have a live "orchestra" as the show is basically a rock concert. So if I was designing the show, I would talk to the band about perhaps jamming a bit before the show, up to about 5 minutes to curtain. The opening entrance of Roger is a very big sound moment, so I would do all that I could to make that moment stand out.

If you feel that you have to have something playing at house open, or during preshow, I would then look at the era that the show takes place. RENT is a very 90's show, so I would choose music that most closely represents that style. Your choice of classic rock may be a bit outdated for RENT.

All things considered, especially if you have a very large house, no one listens to preshow music. It is good to have when the doors first open, but quickly it is not even audible over the crowd noise, nor should it be. So no matter what you pick it will prolly not be a big deal. I would certainly talk to the band about jamming though, it gives them a chance to tune up, and it quickly brings the audience into the world of your show.

That's my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back