Rental Broke!

That's awesome! I was actually really looking forward to making a giant, but the director thought it would have a greater impact on the audience if the giant couldn't be seen. :roll: We used an actress in the tech booth with a really loud microphone. Almost blew out the speakers! I found it ok, and even scary the first time we heard the voice. I wish I had got to make something though- I think the audience would have loved it!

yea, we had a mic backstage for the voice of the giant (the guy who did this was also one of my techies... hes bitechual). Anyway, we ran into a lot of problems with sight lines because of the house and where the foot needed to come on from, so only half of the house got to see the foot.... however I think it was really worth it and a lot of fun to play with.

How big is your crew? And how long did you get to spend doing Into the Woods?

With a crew of four- including me, and two months, I wonder if we could have pulled off anything that big. (Although it would have been fun to try!) We have no stage :( , so sight lines aren't usually a problem :) .

Speaking of welding, Today when wile we wre building our dry ice fogger the LD burnt 2 holes in the drum one he fixed by filling it the other we are looking into some water proffing solutions to fix it but beacuse of the high temps and water pressure we might not be so lucky.

Vanessa said:
How big is your crew? And how long did you get to spend doing Into the Woods?

With a crew of four- including me, and two months, I wonder if we could have pulled off anything that big. (Although it would have been fun to try!) We have no stage :( , so sight lines aren't usually a problem :) .

well, crew for the show was large, 11 if I remember correctly. However for set construction and lighting design and that stuff it was just me. One of the parents (hes an actor and picked up a lot about set construction) made the entire set out of foam as well as the giants leg. It took 2 people to run it, but it wasn't very beautiful when it came in and out (as expected when you have a 15 foot tall leg and foot). The actors had about 2 and a half months, but Dennis (the parent) and me spent about 1 month on the set and everything like that..... after rehearsal ended we usually stayed till about midnight.

I can try to post some pictures if I can find them.....

soundman said:
Speaking of welding, Today when wile we wre building our dry ice fogger the LD burnt 2 holes in the drum one he fixed by filling it the other we are looking into some water proffing solutions to fix it but beacuse of the high temps and water pressure we might not be so lucky.

Ah' 55gal drums for dry ice. Amazing how quickly they rust. Given welding which I would think does not in this case need to be someone certified, you might weld than paint a plate over the opening. Silicone the space between the plates and make the patch at least 3x larger. Otherwise if you can't weld it, I might use a combination of the silicone - especially if possible one that's rated for a metal or wet application, than use JB Weld (found in auto parts stores) on the same size of plate especially around the edges. Might also patch the hole with some bondo.

If your leak is small you might also find some spray cans of something like water heater patch of some sort in the same auto parts store which should work to some degree. While shopping and repairing, you might also assult the can with a wire wheel and wire brush than scrubbing pad or steel wool. Than wash the can down and let it dry. Once dry, I might attempt to at least paint the interior of the can, perhaps using a Rust Oleum primer than hi-temp paint to which Kraylon is best, or see if it's feasable to paint on an enamel coating inside of the can which would resist watter even better. Silicone around all joints or corners once done.

If it's a leak around the drain valve than silicone or the above spray type of car radiator repair might be best short of removing the fitting, adding a plate than re-installng.

Otherwise there might be some kind of foam or other plastic liner you can spray into the can so long as it's rated for about 200F and the water. Spray foam insulation for instance has remarkable bonding to the surface and might be sufficient to withstand water. It should be sufficient for the temperature and could work wonders especially in the corners.

Just some thoughts anyway short of replacing the drum and starting over. I know I have an empty 55gal. drum laying around from some haze fluid if you are local. Finding empty drums hopefully that will not have had toxic chemicals in them should not be too hard. A drum that was used to store adhesive might even be more water tight given dried adhesive coating it's walls.

We sprayed a few coats of high temp rustolium in the drum before we started cutting holes in it but after we caulked around the bottom. We had a hard time finding caulk that was both high temp and ment for water use. I have yet to see the hole but monday I think Ill work on it again.

zac850 said:
well, crew for the show was large, 11 if I remember correctly. However for set construction and lighting design and that stuff it was just me. One of the parents (hes an actor and picked up a lot about set construction) made the entire set out of foam as well as the giants leg. It took 2 people to run it, but it wasn't very beautiful when it came in and out (as expected when you have a 15 foot tall leg and foot). The actors had about 2 and a half months, but Dennis (the parent) and me spent about 1 month on the set and everything like that..... after rehearsal ended we usually stayed till about midnight.

I can try to post some pictures if I can find them.....

One month? That's impressive. And it's great that you had an experienced parent to help you. I wish we could get any help- we are a very academic school, so drama isn't exactly a high priority. Means we don't get much of a budget either. I can understand the working til midnight thing too. I once calulated the hours I spent in the auditorium. 15 hours without leaving- I just carried snacks. Crazy, isn't it? So much of our lives- but I love it! It would be fantastic to see your photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back