Rental Clients and Food in the lobby

Both actually. A dance recital came through here before I worked here and messed up the floor in their old aud, so they put a blanket ban on all recitals. The policy's are actually up for review right now so I literally just ten minutes ago added dance recitals and body building competitions to the banned user groups list....
@TheaterEd Solo violin recitals; No problem. Solo piano recitals; A bit more work but few real problems. Competitive body builders; You've got to hang around for hours waiting the last competitor to produce their urine sample before you can lock up and depart plus the aroma of coconut oil remains in your dressing rooms for a week to ten days. And then there are SPEBSQSA (Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America) competitions and they're an entirely different entity and strain on your brain unto themselves.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
This is simple. Charge them a $15,000.00 deposit CASH up front as a cleaning deposit. After the event, if it's filthy you contract the worlds most expensive cleaning crew to make the are perfect, pay the bill and return the remainder to the renter. I can guarantee that will stop anyone from asking about bringing in food. Actually, you should be getting HUGE deposits no matter what event comes in because they all potentially need cleaning, but the "added" 15K for food and beverage would curtail that anyway.

This is simple. Charge them a $15,000.00 deposit CASH up front as a cleaning deposit. After the event, if it's filthy you contract the worlds most expensive cleaning crew to make the are perfect, pay the bill and return the remainder to the renter. I can guarantee that will stop anyone from asking about bringing in food. Actually, you should be getting HUGE deposits no matter what event comes in because they all potentially need cleaning, but the "added" 15K for food and beverage would curtail that anyway.

In principle, sure. In practice, this is a good way to offend a regular client and make sure they never come back. Some clients need a good slap on the wrist, but a suckerpunch to the windpipe can kill future business. Unless you're already turning down business left and right and there's a waiting list to book your venue, you're better off in the long-term adapting your clients to your venue as best as possible so there are fewer hiccups when they do their annual dance recital you've hosted for them 4 years in a row.

It's not like it was 15 years ago where theaters were few and far between. Many new high schools are being built with rentable venues. Competition for business even at the non-profit community level can be aggressive. If the rental groups are local you also can get in hot water by dropping heavy fees on clients. In this case that's effectively the school district lodging those fees. That can turn into a public "why is my taxpayer money..." letter-writing campaign in a heartbeat.

I'm not saying don't protect your venue's interests, but many people are not afforded the luxury of being able to tell off whomever they want under cover of a contract the dance mom who went glitter-crazy had no knowledge or understanding of.

kendal, you'e got the right idea. Nothing motivates people to do what you want them to do like money. But I think $15K is probably a bit on the high side. Maybe $1,000 or $1,500 makes more sense considering the size of the space. It is also advisable to take a credit card in the event the cleaning deposit does not cover the amount of damage done. For some groups, they will bring in their own mop brigade if it means getting 1,500 bucks back.

If this problem is with the group I'm thinking of, raising the deposit or cleaning fee will not discourage them as they WILL come up with the funding. If the venue board (or municipal government, if so owned) is senstive to the "optics" of how this might play out a better option might be to require all food service to be provided from permitted/licensed facilities only, with the caterer responsible for all clean up in the serving area and the client responsible for all other cleaning/damages.

Another option is for the venue to enter into an exclusive catering agreement with a provider. If the client wants food they use the contracted caterer or they have to buy out the contractor's interest for that event. Our local PAC is municipaly owned and has a long history of hosting ethnic events. The PAC has an exclusive catering agreement and 2 events have chosen to buy out the caterer (at a significant cost) and one event has moved to another venue.

Maybe create an approved vendor list that includes caterers that you trust to clean up and not create more work for you. Then the renter must choose from that vendor list if they want real food served in the lobby.

Maybe create an approved vendor list that includes caterers that you trust to clean up and not create more work for you. Then the renter must choose from that vendor list if they want real food served in the lobby.
@gafftaper et al; Cleaning a terrazzo or porcelain tile lobby floor is one thing and Joe Shmo's cleaners aren't likely to do much irreversible damage to it. Personally, I'd be more concerned with satisfactory cleaning of fine upholstered seats within your soft-seater. This is where I'd want a guarantee of timely proper cleaning by known professionals.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

We run into this from time to time as well. Our standing policy is that you can pretty much do as you will in our lobby (which is around the same SQFT as your's from the looks of things, Gaff), but food/drink is not permitted in the house. I'm very frank and upfront with our clients that they respect this and encourage audience members to keep it out. I then always follow up with saying I totally understand there will be a few bad eggs that sneak stuff in and that I'm cool with it as long as they help us out as best they can. This usually gets them to feel like we're on the same team with the issue and I've rarely had an event with food where the clients weren't cleaning up the lobby and house at the end of the night. I do generally try and encourage them to do banquet or large-scale dining in our cafeteria or at the Shriner's hall across the street, but that does incur another cost which is discouraging for many.

For the deposit and vendor thoughts, at least for us that's not feasible. Our district handles those sorts of arrangements (our damage waiver is $200) and I personally wouldn't want to encourage a vendor agreement for catering as I feel that it would only lead to using more catering for events. In my experience with the vendor agreements it seems what is good for the goose is not great for the gander and they seem tailored to needs outside our own.

It's a fine line to walk, but I generally find the best policy is to just be honest and direct with the client. Express your concerns, build the relationship and hope for the best. Most of the time they don't want to be seen as the messy renter at least in my experience.

Include a large rental deposit if renters want to serve food. The damage deposit becomes non-refundable if extracleanup is required (Make sure it covers the cleanup cost, carpet cleaning, seat cleaning/wipedown, rental revenue loss due to clean-up time, and a little extra to make you feel better. ;)

I'm not allowed to do that. District rules. We don't have a damage deposit. We don't even officially have a banned group list, unless someone fails to pay and we send them to collections the district says we are supposed to keep renting to them.

Come up with a square foot serving area limit, (1 or 2, 8’ tables). Add extra trash cans. (Questions: at what point is a health inspection required for a food serving area? What sanitation rules/requirements apply to the situation?) perhaps you should discuss issues with the heath department, just to get a better understanding. They could likely give you some guidelines.

I'm really struggling with my rental policy for food and I thought I would throw this out to the wisdom of CB for advice. My theater seats 415 people and the lobby is about 300 square feet. When I first arrived in this position, groups were allowed to do whatever they wanted and the lobby would be full of catering warming ovens serving FANTASTIC Food, but creating huge messes with food in the lobby, messes from food snuck into the theater, and food debris on the patio. So I have been progressively restricting food further and further. Here's what my rider currently says about food:

Food, Drink, and Candy are not allowed in the Theater. Only bottled water is allowed in the theater, on stage, and in the greenroom. Simple handheld snacks and drinks such as candy, cookies, pastry, juice, and coffee, may be served to your audience in the lobby. You are not allowed to serve a “meal” to your audience. Any food requiring a full size plate and utensils may not be served. You may not serve anything requiring refrigeration or warming equipment. If you have any questions, ask the theater manager for approval about the snack you want to serve. You are allowed to serve food to the cast in the backstage hall way next to the greenroom.

There are some cultures where serving a large meal is an important and expected part of every theater event. Unfortunately for me, there are a lot of people from one of these cultural groups in my area. So at least once a month I have a rental where we struggle with the food issue. I keep re-writing my policy hoping they will get what I want. But, instead these groups are always testing my boundaries trying to find new ways to get me to approve them to provide more food to their audiences.

How do you deal with these things? How do I re-write my policy to be culturally sensitive, yet also get the point across that we don't allow anything but snacks the way I think of them? I would love to hear your thoughts.
Call your local commercial cleaning contractor (Servicemaster etc..) Have them write up a quote for full cleaning of the facility in the worst-case scenario.
That is now your official "deposit" amount for anyone using your facility for catering.
If you don't need those services because they cleaned-up after themselves the deposit gets refunded.
If they do, then one phone call is all that's required and you get a thorough and professional cleaning job without lifting a finger -for essentially "free"

Principal of the school is adamant that they can do what they want in my PAC, but they are only renting my PAC. She wants no sign of anything on the outside of the school.

This seems to be part of the problem. Is there a way that you can convince your principal that if she wants the group to have this option that a custodian needs to be there to assist with clean up? Is there any way that you can include a custodian in the rental cost? Our custodians need to be at all rentals and they get paid time and a half. Maybe that cost would be enough to bring attention to the issue, both for the client and for the school.

Part of me would want to go the childish route and just leave the mess until school the next day. When the custodians complain to the administrator about it, maybe they'll start to listen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back