Repainting Spotlights (Process)

WwRGSwW

I am working with multiple 2500W Spotlights that are used outside and are rusting (Surprise!?!).

We are looking to repaint them. This is the process I was going to use please let me know if you have done anything different.

1) Use a wire brush to remove rust and old paint completely.

2) Clean with mild soapy water

3) Spray with High Heat Primer (Grainger P/N 4YLC8)

4) let Primer dry

5) Spray with High heat black (Rust Oleum 7778502)

That paint is rated for 1,200F

Thoughts on that process?

after cleaning with the soapy water, I would wipe them down with a rubbing alcohol/water mix to help remove any possible soap residue.

don't forget to remove all the internals so it's just a bare shell, and then to tape everywhere you don't want paint. Trust me...you don't want any overspray on any electronics, lenses or reflectors, any parts that slide or any parts with threads.

Gross overkill, your lights are not going to reach 200, let alone 1200.A quick wire brush, then a coat of black chassis paint, as used on car chassis is all you need, repeat every 5 years or as needed, I always keep a spraygun filled with it,[about $80/20litres] and use it for lights, stages, frames, absolutely everything.Don't waste your time and money on something seldom seen and usually 20' high anyway.We're in theatre, not home decor.

I buy S4 used off e-bay (not your product, but similar). Some of them get painted by previous owners. Most of the time they do a crap job.

So when I have enough of them, I disassemble all units and take them to a place that does powder coating. They look brand new and after they're back the optics are nice and clean.

Is it possible for you to do something like that?

Gross overkill, your lights are not going to reach 200, let alone 1200.A quick wire brush, then a coat of black chassis paint, as used on car chassis is all you need, repeat every 5 years or as needed, I always keep a spraygun filled with it,[about $80/20litres] and use it for lights, stages, frames, absolutely everything.Don't waste your time and money on something seldom seen and usually 20' high anyway.We're in theatre, not home decor.

This is as much about protecting the gear long term as it is making it look decent. You don't want the fixtures to rust away to nothing, and a proper wire brush/wash/alcohol rinse/primer/steel wool/paint job is going to last a whole lot longer than just a light brush and spray. Also I could imagine that a 2500 watt spot could get pretty hot. Remember we're working in F not C.

... Remember we're working in F not C.

Last time I check, C is much, but either way, the spot lights will not get nearly that high.

soundlight is correct, we are doing this to help protect the gear, not just for looks.

And yes, I forgot to mention, everything would be stripped from the inside for a good rehab on all those parts as well.

Thanks for all the tips. As for powder coating, due to some union issues us doing this border line as it is. Right now for all of this my cost is $380 for 4 spotlights. I don't think a shop could beat that price.

As for powder coating, due to some union issues us doing this border line as it is. Right now for all of this my cost is $380 for 4 spotlights. I don't think a shop could beat that price.

Don't be so sure. I'd get a quote--you might be in the ballpark.

I've got around 300 lights, many 30-50 years old, I've never had one rust away to nothing, not even my 2.5k's.If you want to impress clients with pretty lights or you want to use it in your lounge as a talking point then spend the money, if you want to light shows, then a quick cosmetic spray is more than adequate, spend the time you saved on cleaning the optics as that is the important bit.i fail to understand why people will spend so much time and energy doing unneccessary cosmetics on gear no-one will see, where's the return on that cost?

I've got around 300 lights, many 30-50 years old, I've never had one rust away to nothing, not even my 2.5k's.If you want to impress clients with pretty lights or you want to use it in your lounge as a talking point then spend the money, if you want to light shows, then a quick cosmetic spray is more than adequate, spend the time you saved on cleaning the optics as that is the important bit.i fail to understand why people will spend so much time and energy doing unnecessary cosmetics on gear no-one will see, where's the return on that cost?

How do you know they won't be seen? Maybe on your rigs lights are never seen, but on a lot of corporate gigs there are visible lights all over the place. And at least I feel it makes a much better impression on the clients when they see things that look like they are taken care of, rather than neglected.

we have the man power to clean optics, rehab rest of spot.

I used our Infrared thermometer today between shows. After 50 minutes of lamp, the metal reached a temp of 202F near the lamp vent. The air coming out of the vent was 367F Max.

This show is in the dark (Obviously as I we use spots), however we do want quality. there is no need to rush this project.

the 300-800F paint I wanted to use will be perfect.

I will also have to find a way to prevent the telrad magnetic base from destroying the paint, because I think that is part of the problem too...

add a few coats of paint. the morning dew will likely find any tiny pinhole in the paint job. the telrad magnet holds that moisture and tiny partials next to the metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back