Replacement Lenses?

BenjaminD

My school has a bunch (30) of rather old Strand Lekolites (apparently they are zoom fixtures. At least they have two movable lenses). I can't find a more detailed nameplate anywhere on the fixture. They have four shutters, a T9 1KW bulb (if I recall correctly), and have a B type (again, I'm not positive) gobo slot. I'm sorry my information on them is so sketchy, I will post a picture of them Tuesday.

Many of these lights have shattered, cracked, or missing lenses. Does anyone know where I could get replacement lenses?

Thanks!
Ben Dwyer

Not to be Mr. gloom, but Strand has a bad reputation for not supporting old products. Get us a picture and maybe we can help but don't get your hopes up to high. There is a reason some people in the industry say, "Don't get STRAND-ed".

You might need to keep trolling Ebay and find some used full units that you can use for parts.

Sharyn

A quick search using the words Strand and zoom turned up two models:
Strand 2205– 500 W 25-50 degree
Strand 2206- 1000 W 15 to 40 degree
The second one appears to be closer to the original description.

Sorry, no pics.

I have pictures!
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sorry about the quality, I took them with my laptop's webcam.
I hope this helps.

Nice photos, have not seen one of them in years. I would think Strand still sells that lens. I would start with Strand and only if told it's not available, go elsewhere.

Than you need to figure out the size and focal length. Ellipsoidal lenses are a formula approximately of .52 (focal length) x radius of curvature of the lens. Otherwise if you can find a spec's sheet and parts list, it will tell you what specific lenses you are out to replace. Most often, the inner and outer lens will be of different focal lengths.

The quality & refinement of the lens is what goes into a Strand product lens. Should be the same basic lenses as per a zoom of the same type & size say from Colortran and Altman if not also L&E but go for the Strand if possible.

Otherwise you could go to some of the various sources:
Edmund Industrial Optics Www.edmundoptics.com
Kopp Glass www.koppglass.com
Special FX Glass Gel http://www.fxlight.com/

Wow, we've still got a handful of those fixtures here in our studio theater. We also have about fifty or so of the 4.5" lekolite zooms in the mainstage theater. They're pretty nice units for their vintage, IMO.

Ship:
Thank you very much! If I can't get them from Strand, how could I go about finding that information about the lenses? Or getting a spec sheet for that matter, I am having trouble finding one with Google.

PadawanGeek:
No, Lekolite is not spelled backwards, my webcam is built into my laptop (Macbook Pro, 15", Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GhZ) and is about three milimeters thick, so... it works. Mirror-image, but it works.

Soundlight:
You wouldn't happen to have the specs sheet for those lights of yours, would you? And yes, they're decent fixtures, but they are a nightmare with my no-budget steel-soup-can gobos I tried to make (burned through in less than three minutes) so I ended up spending some time in the ceramics class and making one that way (which worked amazingly well).

Ben Dwyer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back