Replacing FEL 1K & EHG 750 watt lamps

dvlasak

I "inherited" a large quantity of old FEL 1K & EHG 750 lamps. It is getting time to order more. There has to be better & more efficient replacement lamps for these, right? Can any one point me in the right direction where to look? Or can someone tell me what will work. These are all for old Strand Lekos - various 6 x sizes. Thanks!

Dennis

See this post, in this thread. Also this thread. Most importantly, this thread.

After this, if no change for a more efficient lamp... sell him on the 1.2Kw Ushio upgraded version of the FEL. Puts the FEL to shame and if you are going to melt down stuff and cost more money, you might as well do it in a spectacular highest possible output type of way. FEL lamps.. ain't nothing no more, just old school barbaric lamps without further use. This unless you have FEL/R lamps... now there is a efficient lamp that's worth using for choice applications.

The GE/Thorn HX-755 is a GLE ANSI code lamp now just as the HX-603 under other brands is a GLA now available thru most brands. Both types 750w/115v and 575w/115v are optimum choices in balancing 5x the lamp life with more refined filaments and good output.

There are several alternatives to the lamps you are using currently, first of all what kind of fixture are we talking about, is it an Altman 360Q, or is it strand or is it a colortran 5/50. All of these fixtures now take the newer generation lamps such as (in some what of a chronological order) FLK, GLA, GLC, GLD, GLE, HPR, and SPH.

The FLK was an early attempt at making a more efficient lamp opposed to the 750W EHG or 1000W FEL, it is now not as efficient as some of the newer lamps.

The next set of lamps are the GLC, GLA (575W lamps) and the GLD/GLE/(GKV?) which are 750watt lamps. Those 5 lamp types have a filament similar to the one found in the HPL lamp of a source four and are much more efficient than the standard EHG or FEL lamps that you have mentioned.

Another attempt at making older technology more efficient was the HPR, which is a 575w lamp with an internal reflector to complete the reflector curve of the fixture when seated in and used. It shares a similar filament to that of the EHG, but is much more efficient.

Last but not least, USHIO just recently released a new alternative to the GLC/FEL lamp, it is calle the SPH 575/115. This lamp is also a 575w lamp and it is even more efficient than the GLC and its relatives.

However, I am not totally sure on this topic and it is best to wait for Ship to come and explain this in more detail. The most important note I will leave with you is that if the fixture has older style optics or the yoke label says to use only lamps like the EHG and FEL, then more than half of the lamps listed above cannot be used in your fixtures because they will cause the reflector to bubble/burn over time from melting. You may want to try the Thorn HX600.

However, I am not totally sure on this topic and it is best to wait for Ship to come and explain this in more detail. The most important note I will leave with you is that if the fixture has older style optics or the yoke label says to use only lamps like the EHG and FEL, then more than half of the lamps listed above cannot be used in your fixtures because they will cause the reflector to bubble/burn over time from melting. You may want to try the Thorn HX600.
Ship has spoken on this topic many times, use derek's links or use the search feature, you will find that there are many threads that deal with this.

As for the older style optics thing, if your fixtures are rated to handle an FEL then they will have no problem with the newer generation lamps. More efficiency and lower wattages means less heat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back