Replacing Fresnel Lamps

Robert F Jarvis

We are shortly looking to replace about 40 legacy Fresnel lamps. We would be interested to hear from others who have done this or who have some ideas on what replacement lamps they have or would use. We would like the benefits of reduced power requirements, low heat output , no gel changes and so on of the LED lights.

We are shortly looking to replace about 40 legacy Fresnel lamps. We would be interested to hear from others who have done this or who have some ideas on what replacement lamps they have or would use. We would like the benefits of reduced power requirements, low heat output , no gel changes and so on of the LED lights.
@Robert F Jarvis Several queries: Do all 40 Fresnels use the same lamps; same physical size, same mounting bases, same LCL?
Obviously: My next query is; What lamps are you currently using, ANSI code, mounting bases, LCL, etcetera??
Answer the above and possibly @DELO72 and / or @ship or others will contribute to your post.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Are you talking about 6 or 8 inch Fresnels, or something larger? To my knowledge there is not an LED retrofit for the BTN and BTL, and I doubt if there will be any time soon. There are LED retrofits for larger Fresnel lamps, but they're quite pricey.

Also, as was asked in the other place, do you mean replacing entire lanterns or just the lamps within?

There are lots of fresnels in the RGB+ space, but it depends on your budget. We're looking at ETC colorsource spots with fresnel adapters; we've had them demo'd at the distrib's demo studio and also in our space and they're excellent, great colour and very bright, but they're not an inexpensive option and they're physically large (think 2kW conventional).

I think this is entire fixture. You should switch to LEDs but I find that a fresnel in terms of beam and field angle is much more versatile than practically any LED wash unit. The ColorSource PAR, which I'm a big fan of, requires changing lenses and of course maintaining a stock of lenses. I don't have a lot of experience with the zoom pars but they don't seem to be quite as flexible as a basic old fashioned fresnel. You should still change, but be prepared for the difference.

6", 8", other? Wattage of existing? Will help in suggesting LED fixtures.

If you can find the money and space for the ETC Fresnel lens, I can highly recommend them. They do a really good job on the efficiency side, and are a pleasure to work with. We keep a giant pile in inventory for our Colorsource Spots, and Studio HDs. They're great for emulating conventional and arc fresnels, without all the compromises that go into those fixtures.

Good question on what is the inventory. Is there a RGBW+ replacement for the 8" Fresnel also if on the market?

There is the CB' and Mark (Osram) invented BTH lamp which is for a 6" normal fresnel, going to get that same color temperature the Leko's have. This with 100% Color rendering index. It's high output in needing more lamp replacements as similar to most high output Leko's. There is no long life version on the market if using say a GLA or HPL 575w/115vX type long life lamp in your Leko's for the Fresnel. This other than continuing with the BTN or which is also a robust fine lamp with 2,000 hour lamp life. The 8" Fresnel at only 500 hour BVT (norm) has no long life lamp.

No matter what lamp to install - as hinted above, putting a perfectly good lamp into a bad lamp socket or wiring won't last any longer and as tracked for moving light lamps, on average it's 100 hours less per perfectly good lamp installed into a bad lamp socket each time until the lamp socket completely fails or someone notices it.

8" or 6" Fresnel... they will probably need new lamp sockets or re-surfacing (fairly easy to do) no matter which fixture type and possible re-wiring, before considering re-lamping them to the norms or any perspective new high color temperature lamps. Throwing perfectly good lamps into bad lamp sockets is a waste of money.

Again, at this point I am not aware of a LED 8" Fresnel RGBW+ on the market. You can make up for such fixtures with more 6" Fresnels of some type possibly at like a $300.oo per fixture cost. Cost of man/hours to replace or resurface a lamp socket (normally about 90% of lamp sockets can be resurfaced if properly done,) plus a halogen replacement lamp should be cheaper than the cost of a LED fixture.

As I have seen on installs I even do, with LED RGB not even RGBW+ TBA fixtures coming on the market more, you get the advantage of less mintinence, less lamp changes, and perhaps a 3:1 fixture price in doing so with lower CRI. Do the bill in cost for three or 4 or 5 fixtures maintained. If man/hours are not tracked much less in cost if done properly. But on the other hand if having to send the lights to a qualified service center... might be 2:1 or more in expense.

What you loose in three less fixtures is the design element. If you have less fixtures... your paint brush just got smaller. Yes, the LED fixture is RGB, but it's about the angle and amount of fixtures from different angles which will make the difference between art made, and just from that angle I can color mix.

My opinion in cost of going LED (more long term cost effective and better,) the difference between having a light for a scene in position to show the talent crawing into a hole as per a special perhaps...

In going Hx-600 as best I could a few at a time at some point, perhaps a middle ground between going LED and fixing what is on hand is the best solution. Delist or parts some fixtures in balancing "upgrade" veses servicing and upgrading the lamps to which ever BTH or BTL. This assuming 6" Fresnel talked about. Buy a few LED fixtures as budgets allow, but maintain what you can in change over on a 1:1 basis. This so you doint loose design paint brushes and have time also to grow in dimmer channels for the new light board which will also have to be budgeted for when otherwised based on a normal dimmer system.

Last edited:
I'll second what SHIP says above. My first thought is that if they aren't in poor condition, then you should stick with Tungsten Halogen for the Quality of the light and the CRI.

Lower Wattage solutions would be the BTH lamp (575W, 750 hr., 3200K CCT). The BTL 500W is a long life lamp-- but the color temp and lumens on it are terrible. That's the trade off.

Thanks to all who wrote. At this time then, we're going to keep many of the tungsten Fresnels but looking through all that has been written here to find some LEDs to augment them. Not sure that if we use an ungelled Fresnel a nearby LED can spill enough light to "Color" the Fresnel's area. One of the things about the LED is not to having to keep changing gels every show and having to have a different lamp for every color/shade we are going to use in the play.

One of the things about the LED is not to having to keep changing gels every show and having to have a different lamp for every color/shade we are going to use in the play.

The "lamp" is inside the "fixture". I assume you mean you need to have multiple fixtures with different colors/gels and that gets time consuming to change between events.

There'a a bunch of LED fresnels on the market. Ovation makes some nice ones, this is one of their new ones.

It would be helpful to know what the use is, who makes the fixtures you use now, etc....

We have a system of Chauvet COLORado 2-quad Zoom fixtures that I'm pretty happy with. They're a RGBW fixture with a zoom and I've been quite happy with them as a top light fixture. I haven't done a shootout between them and any ETC fixtures, but they're pretty punchy and the zoom works quite well. I have them hung next to a system of incandescent Source Four PAR fixtures and almost always use the LEDs instead.

S4 Par with an entire gambit of lens and filters. great way to go. I've had Strands remote zoom on a couple jobs. Don't know about longevity but its a great little fixture with lots of features.

Arri L-series fresnels are AWESOME! I have used them in a few theater and motion picture situations and they behave just like a incandescent fresnel.

Every color tempratue, color and dimming AND an even wash that cuts well with barn doors, gobos, etc.

I'd say the L-7 is a great LED replacement for the basic 6-8" theater fresnel.

The bad news??? They are stupendously expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back