Replacing Fresnels

Have to agree with Derek's questions. Need to know what you are looking to replace to make a good recommendation.
Also if you really want incandescent or LED, as there are ups and downs to both.
As well as the biggest question, what kind of budget do you think is possible for the replacement? (mind that there are a number of grants depending on where you are that may be available)

A number of years ago we replaced all the fresnels in my main space with Source-4 Fresnels, replacing a mix of 8" and 6" fresnels. They have been great.
In another space, I supplemented the old fresnels with Colorsouce Pars. They can't replace the fresnels but they really help them need to used a lot less.
Another space has replaced them with full colour LED fresnels with DMX controlled focus, so they don't need to be manually refocused when the electric is brought in or out.

ETC Desire Fresnel. Beceause its ETC quality.

I saw one a couple months ago at a demo they put on in the area. It made pretty colors, but we were pretty underwhelmed with the overall intensity. Saturated colors weren't bad. But near white it would probably struggle to hang with anything more than a 500w fresnel. Combine that with the crazy high asking price and I don't see how most people could justify buying them. If they used the much more powerful light engine from the Lustr 3 then it I think it could be worth looking at.

Thank you for all the input. I was amazed at the prices. Our few dirt cheap Ridgeyard MHs can go one on one with a 750w Fresnel when the beam is narrow. As a none profit Im thinking of buying more Ridgeyards.

Do you have a link to your Ridgeyards?

I would at least suggesting buying a brand with more actual US representation and parts available. The ADJ FR Pro Color would be a good fresnel option, but probably too expensive. The ADJ Encore LP12IP would be a good fixed beam with interchangeable lenses option. If you want a moving light, any of the offerings from ADJ or Chauvet will have better color, control, and service than Ridgeyard who probably won't even exist in 2 years, much less have any parts or service representation of any kind whatsoever. The ADJ Focus Flex L7 could be a great option if you consider the Ridgeyards to be bright enough.

The Ovation F-915 FC is a solid replacement for a 750w fresnel in White Light, and a 1k in color.
RGBAL color mixing, automated zoom, Focus Mode, etc.
I'd recommend talking to your local dealer, and getting some in your space to demo before making a decision.
If you can afford these units - this is one of my absolute favorite LED arrays to mix with, and there is SO MUCH punch. I love the Ovation RGBAL units, and have used the Leko version of this - E-910FC - for years. Until the Reve E-3 came out, these were my favorite LED lekos.

Depends on your budget. Low end the AP150. High end, ColorSource Par and a full set of diffuser lens.

Another vote for the Chauvet Ovations. After spending time using them they really hit the best of both worlds re: fresnel soft beam with LED color mixing. But I agree with what others said about application, to wit the only caveat I have with these fixtures is that the zoom gets very grumpy when you hang them as straight downlight. It's a lot of lamp for it to move and it will let you know about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back